SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New here...need to stop (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293705-new-here-need-stop.html)

wr70beh 05-05-2013 01:04 PM

New here...need to stop

Hello all. I really need to stop drinking. I've been out of control for the past year or so. I'm surprised I haven't been busted for DUI after drinking so much at bars. I don't really know where to start. I've failed on trying to curb my drinking on my own that I'm going to try some other methods. I've been seeing a counselor the past couple of years, but have done a pretty good job of hiding my drinking. My wife said she's had it covering for me all the time.

There's an AA meeting near me on Tuesday nights at 7PM. I thought I'd stop by and see what it's all about. My wife is going to come with me to my next counselor's appointment. I need to come clean about my drinking problems.

Anyway, hello, and look forward to reading posts in the forum.

Cedar1373 05-05-2013 01:08 PM

Welcome! I am new, too. Ive been drinking heavily for the past 2 years. It is time for me to quit or else I fear that I will die.

Wishing you well, today.

deeker 05-05-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by wr70beh (Post 3951826)
Hello all. I really need to stop drinking. I've been out of control for the past year or so. I'm surprised I haven't been busted for DUI after drinking so much at bars. I don't really know where to start. I've failed on trying to curb my drinking on my own that I'm going to try some other methods. I've been seeing a counselor the past couple of years, but have done a pretty good job of hiding my drinking. My wife said she's had it covering for me all the time.

There's an AA meeting near me on Tuesday nights at 7PM. I thought I'd stop by and see what it's all about. My wife is going to come with me to my next counselor's appointment. I need to come clean about my drinking problems.

Anyway, hello, and look forward to reading posts in the forum.

Hey there! AA great idea! Just do it. Here is a link to an AA Big Book. You may want to read about it.Big Book On Line
Linked with permission of AA World Services,inc

You will find lots of hope at a Meetings. There are meetings daily if you look hard enough unless you live in the boondocks. Tons of supportive people here as well!

CaiHong 05-05-2013 01:24 PM

Welcome WR and Cedar,
I am coming up to 2 years sober with the support of both SR and AA.

Good on you both for taking the first step and recognizing that there is a problem.

I wish you all the best in recovery.

CaiHong

Hevyn 05-05-2013 03:08 PM

Pleased to meet you, wr70. I think being here will really help - not feeling alone really made a difference for me.

It feels so good to reach out for help and not be afraid to share what you're going through. I'm glad you have your wife's support. Checking out the AA meeting sounds like a great idea - and you sound ready to try that approach. Glad you are here!

least 05-05-2013 03:44 PM

:welcome You've made a smart decision to stop drinking. You won't regret it.:)