Notices

How has alcohol affected your work?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How has alcohol affected your work?

Hi everyone, I just wondered how alcohol has affected your work life? I'm just sitting here thinking it really has had an affect on every single part of my life. It's like it's just dawned on me and I've opened my eyes to a mess!!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi daisyboo ,
Yeh i think it's had it's effect there . I kinda had to accept it and move on , the past is gone and to let alcohol's memory make me miserable today seemed like letting it win another day off me .
yes i'm not as far on in life as i might otherwise had been if i were a "normal" drinker but then i wouldn't be me , whats done is done , the decisions and oppertunities of today are whats important ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi DB

Oh for sure - most days I would sit there head in hands feeling terrible and in the worst of moods - I was a horrible little .....just could not be bothered,spent all day wanting to go home so I could crack open the wine to feel normal again

Not a life ..now I bounce in and hell of a lot more productive - time to give back what I stole from my employers !

:-)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses! Good to know, I started my own little online business and have just failed miserably cos I'm too drunk to deal with it properly ! I would normally plan to do it in the evenings when kids in bed but by the time they go to bed and I've had a few drinks tidying up cooking dinner, I'm in no fit state to do work! Then in the morning I'm muddling through to get kids to school and well just muddle through.....
I think I can recover it, but need to be sober! I'm really hoping to get through today and the evening....x
Old 05-05-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I lost my reputation as my work is quite boozy.
I don't think people take me seriously.
I am sure I have been passed over for promotion.

Makes me sad as it is so easy to destroy your career after one silly night of drinking.
And work colleagues are not as kind as friends when reminding you of your past exploits.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In a former job I was teaching Photoshop to a group of mature students. It was a 20 week evening course. One evening I went to work drunk. Not rolling all over the place, but clearly the worse for wear.

On about week 17 I discovered that one of my students, a lady in her early 50's, was the wife of the principle of the college!

Needless to say I wasn't invited back to the college in the new educational year.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Daisy. I'm brand-new to this site, too, and would love to be friends with others who are quitting about the same time as I am. I've never gone to work drunk; I simply couldn't get away with that! We aren't even allowed to have alcohol less than 12 hours before flying. But I have spent plenty of flights praying for the effects of my hangover to ease up. And I've used gallons of Visine, trying to get the redness out of my eyes before I have to go to the airport. And I've eaten hundreds of breathmints, hoping that the passengers won't get a whiff of my stale vodka breath when I lean down to ask them if they would like a beverage. And I've spent hours worrying about the random alcohol testers in their white lab coats that can show up on any jetbridge before or after any flight and spirit you away to pee in a cup... So, yes,yes,yes. My drinking has affected me in my job. And I'm ready to stop the madness. But I'm scared, too.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi sky5333, I think I read one of your posts in the night! Yes would love to be friends! Will pm you now x
Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Hi Daisy.. I once came to a difficult realization, that I had gone to work intoxicated atleast once to almost every job I've ever held, & I have had A LOT of jobs.. It really shook me up when that thought hit me.. I now know I don't ever have to trudge through another miserable drunk work shift where I feel like puking & just falling asleep right there on the floor, or, attempt working while so hungover I feel like dying. Glad you posted this topic, as its something that played a huge part in my drinking 'career', no pun intended..