SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi, all (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293626-hi-all.html)

cantorcantus 05-04-2013 06:56 PM

Hi, all

Hello, everyone. I am attempting recovery yet once again. I have been in recovery from many things in my life, and currently, I am in recovery from an eating disorder. Although that has not been very active in the past 10 or so months (I had to go to impatient treatment for it last year), I seem to have switched my addictions to alcohol at this point. In any case, it seems that I'm unable to live life on life's terms, and I do want to, but I'm not sure how. I have tried to slow down my alcohol consumption, or to do away with it entirely, but thus far, it has been to no avail.

I guess I'm just asking for support and prayers from all of you, and maybe any words of advise. I may have heard them before, but maybe hearing them again will help them sink in enough that they will actually "take" this time.

Hevyn 05-04-2013 07:03 PM

Welcome to SR cantor - we're so glad you joined us. You aren't alone with your struggles - I hope you find some good suggestions & encouragement here.

Received 05-04-2013 07:24 PM

Welcome to SR. This is a wonderful place.

Do you have any plan of action?

cantorcantus 05-04-2013 09:25 PM

Thank you for the welcomes!

I will be starting AA ASAP... that won't really happen on a regular basis, though, for another 12 or so days, as I'm currently in the process of moving back home once this school semester is over. I have also been looking into IOP/sober living options near home, if meetings alone are not enough for me to get sober.

I have also been talking to a couple of priests in recovery, one for quite a long time, one in the newest stages of it, and they have been providing good counsel and advise, and most importantly, many prayers for me.

I am not sure what else I need to do/can do. Any ideas?

Coldfusion 05-04-2013 09:39 PM

I find working with a sponsor to be very helpful.

deeker 05-04-2013 09:48 PM

No experience on the eating dis-order but do I know how to pray! One going up for you now. God Bless!!

ps I know about alcoholism, need any resources, I'd like to help.

cantorcantus 05-04-2013 10:01 PM

I will get a sponsor once I move back home. Until then, I'll keep working with the recovering priest up here.

Thank you for the prayers. Eating disorders are considered addictive processes, like gambling, or shopping. It's another way of not living in reality, of trying to numb out, and of trying to exert control that eventually ends up with the sufferer losing control. I have been trying to use some of the tools that I learned for ED recovery and applying them to alcohol, especially with the emotional reasons that I'm trying to numb out by drinking. I really think that the core issues are still there, just that I'm playing addiction "whack-a-mole". I got the ED under control, and something else now has popped up.

least 05-04-2013 10:33 PM

:welcome You've come to a very supportive community.:hug:

cantorcantus 05-05-2013 04:22 AM

This is such a great community!

Received 05-05-2013 05:29 AM

Posting here and reading the threads can also be extremely helpful, cantorcantus.