Notices

hungover and ready to get sober

Old 05-04-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hungover and ready to get sober

I'm finally getting sober for myself, my husband and my daughter. They're the most important things to me, and I know I'll lose them if I keep drinking. I took my final drinks last night. I'm so scared I've already done irreparable damage to my body. I'm in my 20s, and almost every social and work gathering centers around drinking, so I know I have a rocky road ahead of me.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You've found a wonderful forum community.

What do you plan to do to stop drinking?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I love sparkling water with lime, plus it looks like a vodka soda, so hopefully my coworkers and friends won't give me too much grief. My husband is outrageously supportive, and I keep looking at our toddler and bursting into tears (she's playing happily, it's not fazing her). The thought of not being around to watch her grow up is absolutely devastating; she's keeping me going.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're really motivated to stop drinking and it's good that you have support from your husband.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad that you're really motivated to stop drinking and it's good that you have support from your husband.
Thanks, it's great to have a community like this as well. I'm making an appointment with my doctor for this week to talk about how to safely detox. I'd like to go cold turkey, but considering I average 1-2 bottles of wine a week, and drank 3/4 of a liter of vodka yesterday, I'm not sure how safe that is. Safer than continuing to drink, I'd imagine.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here is a list of just some of the methods or programs you may want to look into:

Rational Recovery/AVRT
SMART
AA
SOS
Life Ring
Women for Sobriety
Power to Quit

You can find information about these by googling or click on this link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Information on Rational Recovery/AVRT can be found by Googling or visit our secular forum/Secular Connections at this link:

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome sober4mybaby. I wish I'd gotten sober in my 20's. I insisted on trying to control what I drank and it destroyed my life. You'll never regret making this decision - and we're glad you're here to share your journey with us. You're never alone.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, and always remember there is here, SR.

I joined here and put down the drink that night. I utilized the Rational Recovery/AVRT "method". I also see a therapist and of course post here.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
Oh, and always remember there is here, SR.

I joined here and put down the drink that night. I utilized the Rational Recovery/AVRT "method". I also see a therapist and of course post here.
Discovering this forum already gives me hope. It's really nice to be able to post something here and have someone who's been through it respond, and the chat room is fantastic as well. I'm hoping to get to see my doctor quickly and that I won't have bad detox symptoms until then; my hangover already feels significantly better than it did earlier today.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I made sure I drank plenty of water to help flush the toxin from my body as well as rehydrate.

I also have my General Practitioner onboard. I'm so glad to hear you are also letting your doctor know.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best in your journey and remember your not alone.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome to the forums! besides here, i utilize AA to help keep me sober. i'm learning to call someone before my bad idea turns into a drink or using. it's hard but the AA community really is wonderful here. i've made a ton of friend, found an amazing sponsor and have started doing my step work. you may want to go check out an open meeting or a first step meeting. it's scary at first but the people in there don't bite or anything. they've got something going on there and i'm happy to finally be a part of it. make sure you show up a little early and stay late. meetings are good but a lot of recovery happens before and after the meetings. let them know you're new and you'll have people talking to you and giving you numbers most likely. get in there and be a part of the sober community, both in here and out in the real world!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober4mybaby View Post
Thanks. I love sparkling water with lime, plus it looks like a vodka soda, so hopefully my coworkers and friends won't give me too much grief.
If that's the case I would just stay away when drinking is going on. You don't have to be evangelical with your sobriety but you shouldn't have to hide it either.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

D
Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0percentABV View Post
If that's the case I would just stay away when drinking is going on. You don't have to be evangelical with your sobriety but you shouldn't have to hide it either.
Unfortunately, I do need to make an appearance every so often, as it's a big part of our company culture. Thankfully, I can get out of most of it by using my kiddo as an excuse
Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks! I've actually found a meeting next to my office and went over my lunch break one day a few weeks ago; now I just need to go and stick with it. Everyone seems really nice. You know when you have no idea why you relapsed, but you're completely determined to quit once and for all? I'm right there.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sober4mybaby you can do it. By all means get rid of any kind of chemical dependence in your 20's so you will have a life.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow....sooooo much up side.....just f<n do it>>
Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!