Notices

Confused..can anyone relate?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused..can anyone relate?

Greetings to all, I joined this site to try and shed some more light on my most stubborn condition.
A little about my alcohol history-I was raised in a home with a violent alc father and a mother who succumbed to it by the time I was 16 and
I have always been very sensitive to the effects of alcohol..? inherited intolerance/allergy?
Teens- blackouts, not addicted yet, could take or leave the stuff
twenties- not a daily drinker but when I did, could not stop until I passed or blacked out
thirties - married to a very controlling man, had several children so managed to control it to weekly with occasional breakout/overuse.
forties - divorce, succumbed to the drink, would start 5pm drink till pass out, lost kids in custody due to my erratic behaviour. Managed to stay sober for 4 years but picked up again when in relationship with an alc man.
fifties - blacked out again, very scary episodes of drink driving.. moved to rural area to start again, managed to stop for 5 months last year but picked up again
This year trying to stay stopped BUT can manage to control it to one drink per week at moment ..???
suffer from chronic depression which alcohol makes much worse, even just one drink tips me over into despair..cant stop it..its the mental obsession..as think about THAT ONE DRINK! for days before hand.
I am desperate to stop altogether but my mind is against me with all sorts of excuses to take that drink. Have been to AA in past, can relate to personality issues discussed but not the morning/daily/round the clock routine.
The question I am asking is ..due to my age does it seem possible that I have just burned out, matured out or damaged my brain with the blackouts so thats WHY I cannot stay stopped? I know that it only takes one moment of weakness for 1 to turn into a bottle ..then suicidal depression, despair, and god forbid drinkdriving again.
I suppose it all comes down to beating this damn mental obsession that despite prayer all day long of Lord make me willing! seems to have beaten me.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Gosh, I can relate to your despair. Maybe you are beaten. Perhaps it's time to surrender, things only seem to be getting worse the more you fight. I reached a point where I realised I was completely powerless, I lost the power of choice in drink, either way.

I notice you tried AA. What was it you tried? Some meetings? Some steps? AA seems to be a bit like a course of antibiotics. It may not work if you don't take the whole course. I found the solution was to try and get my life onto a spiritual plain through the 12 steps. When I took this course, honestly and willingly, that awful obsession was lifted and life took on new meaning.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

BTW welcome to SR. There are a lot of good people here who will completely understand where you are at. Keep posting
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

blackouts. only alcoholics get them, especially so early in their drinking history.

If you go back to AA, try to relate in and not out; not everyone drinks around the clock, that is just how the progression is.

glad you found SR!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR lotus!

If you are asking whether you are one of the "unfortunates" that AA talks about, I would say no. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and your post illustrates this quite well. Your age has nothing to do with your inability to stop drinking, but your disease has everything to do with it. Even the most hopeless alcoholics have been able to find recovery.

You need to treat your disease just like you would any other disease. Perhaps consider an outpatient treatment program in your area to give you the foundation to be successful. AA didn't work for me when I first tried it either. It took a lot of work on my part to get the ball rolling: treatment, therapy, psychiatry, AA, sponsor, actively working the steps, SR, etc. You just need to try things to find your program. Just don't give up- your life depends on it.

Again, welcome. Stick around, read, post. This is a great community.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi mike, to answer your query I have half heartedly tried i.d. meetings and am presently doing a christian based course called Celebrate recovery .. I'm too ashamed to talk about my alcohol issue so I probarly belong back in AA
What sort of alcoholic am I if I can presentlly stop at one drink???
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lotusflower4 View Post
A disaster waiting to happen.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
blackouts. only alcoholics get them, especially so early in their drinking history.
I'm curious about this statement; can you please share any information that expounds upon it?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
I'm curious about this statement; can you please share any information that expounds upon it?

Thanks in advance
The statement is not true. I know plenty of normies that have had blackouts. Drink enough alcohol, and you will blackout - alcoholic or not.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by CharlieNoogan View Post
The statement is not true. I know plenty of normies that have had blackouts. Drink enough alcohol, and you will blackout - alcoholic or not.
Thank you for your input.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The hopeless feeling is something I can say probably all of us have experienced in various stages of our drinking/using.
I try not to pigeon-hole people with statistics since I am the absolute last person to even offer proof or not of validity of said percentages. If you think you have problems with drinking, no 'scale' can be used to compare the severity of where you stand with your present situation.
The obsessive thoughts about drinking can be part of the monster, normal people don't watch a clock for days winding down to the time they can finally have a drink - even if it's just one drink.
You might find that the depression gets better when you stop drinking. Yes, it's not easy and the lure of that one drink becomes a monster in itself.
You must have patience, it sucks at first but the rewards are a benefit 100's of times over that drinking your problems away. (Which never hapens)
Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had nights when I could not remember a thing very early in my drinking career. The notion of me being addicted to alcohol then was not even thought of.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

managed to stop for 5 months last year but picked up again

You did it before it can be done again. I wonder how you achieved this?

I think it unlikely you are too far gone- the journey is worth it
Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR x

I can relate to your post. I also spent a long time finding reasons why I was NOT an alcoholic. I stopped drinking throughout my pregnancies, I never got into trouble with the police, I didn't lose my marriage etc etc.

For me, it was about the mental obsession as you describe, when I wasn't actually drinking I was obsessing about it. I would be continually having to set myself limits...don't drink on a work night, never after 9 p.m, never before 6 p.m. My life got smaller and smaller until drink became my overwhelming thought, and I too was depressed and anxious.

To be free of that is totally liberating.

For me, it's less about labelling ourselves and more about accepting that this behaviour isn't 'normal'. My non-alcoholic friends don't think about alcohol incessantly, they can take it or leave it.

Keep posting, you will find lots of support here x
Old 05-04-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

you're an alcoholic. just a regular, ole alcoholic. many of us can stop or even control our drinking for a while but we will inevitably end up back where we were, often worse if we continue to think that we can drink with restraint. why are you drinking that one drink anyways? are you trying to prove to yourself that you're not an alcoholic? a normal person drinks when they want to and with restraint. an alcoholic drinking once a week sounds to me like someone who's trying to prove that they're stronger than their addiction. that they've got it all together and can beat addiction with willpower alone. personally, if i was drinking once a week, i would kind of obsess over it. when i'm going to do it, what i'm going to have, where i'm going to have it and a little piece of me would be wondering if this was the beginning of a bender. then, after the drink, i'd be thinking about how i only had one and that it was okay and it's going to be a long week until i can have that next drink. so one day, i drink in the middle of the week because i've proven to myself that i have control. then i decide that i can drink every couple of days or so and from there it's a rapid progression into a bender, which, if i'd been honest with myself from the beginning, is where i knew i'd eventually end up.

like i said, that's just my scenario. so why are you drinking that one drink once a week? is it worth it?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome lotusflower!

I could stop at one drink but the mental obsession was intense. Even when I was drinking my one drink, I would be planning when I could drink more. I also would feel intense despair after just one drink (even if I felt fine before drinking). There were lots of times when I drank more than one drink, but I was totally capable of drinking just one.

Our brains are amazingly good at healing. I am sure that you can get and stay sober. For me (and I think for lots of people)- the mental obsession decreases once you are sober for a while. By drinking one drink a week, you are keeping the door open and fueling the obsessions.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Welcome to SR x

I can relate to your post. I also spent a long time finding reasons why I was NOT an alcoholic. I stopped drinking throughout my pregnancies, I never got into trouble with the police, I didn't lose my marriage etc etc.

For me, it was about the mental obsession as you describe, when I wasn't actually drinking I was obsessing about it. I would be continually having to set myself limits...don't drink on a work night, never after 9 p.m, never before 6 p.m. My life got smaller and smaller until drink became my overwhelming thought, and I too was depressed and anxious.

To be free of that is totally liberating.

For me, it's less about labelling ourselves and more about accepting that this behaviour isn't 'normal'. My non-alcoholic friends don't think about alcohol incessantly, they can take it or leave it.

Keep posting, you will find lots of support here x
Jeni26 I believe you understand exactly where i'm coming from. I can go days and weeks without booze but I think about it constantly especially when I'm drinking daily. I wake up in the morning thinking about it and I know it's not normal and I know it is serious. I don't wake up wanting a drink but I do wake up with the first thoughts on my mind being of regret that I drank again last night and promising I will not drink today and then i do it all again... secretly. I'm living in a private hell, i hate my life right now.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hated mine too, but I promise that it can get better.

I no longer wake with that regret and shame on a daily basis.

You can do this xxx
Old 05-04-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
you're an alcoholic. just a regular, ole alcoholic. many of us can stop or even control our drinking for a while but we will inevitably end up back where we were, often worse if we continue to think that we can drink with restraint. why are you drinking that one drink anyways? are you trying to prove to yourself that you're not an alcoholic? a normal person drinks when they want to and with restraint. an alcoholic drinking once a week sounds to me like someone who's trying to prove that they're stronger than their addiction. that they've got it all together and can beat addiction with willpower alone. personally, if i was drinking once a week, i would kind of obsess over it. when i'm going to do it, what i'm going to have, where i'm going to have it and a little piece of me would be wondering if this was the beginning of a bender. then, after the drink, i'd be thinking about how i only had one and that it was okay and it's going to be a long week until i can have that next drink. so one day, i drink in the middle of the week because i've proven to myself that i have control. then i decide that i can drink every couple of days or so and from there it's a rapid progression into a bender, which, if i'd been honest with myself from the beginning, is where i knew i'd eventually end up.

like i said, that's just my scenario. so why are you drinking that one drink once a week? is it worth it?
I love this post, it resonates so deeply with me and my relationship/obsession with alcohol. Thank you for your insight.