SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Introduction (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293513-introduction.html)

Cedar1373 05-03-2013 04:01 PM

Introduction

Hello there! I wanted to introduce myself. I am 40 years old and have struggled with alcoholism most of my life. AA never has worked for me so I am grateful to find a support group is non-AA.

I've gotten clean many times but since my drinking is consuming my life again, I decided it is time to get serious about recovery. Thank you for being here for me! I am looking forward to get to know you.

ElegantlyWasted 05-03-2013 04:07 PM

Welcome Cedar. I'm about your age (just turned 41). Are you working any kind of program? I'm actually about to try AA again. What do you think didn't work for you?

Received 05-03-2013 04:17 PM

Welcome to SR. There are many paths to recovery. Here is a link to several sources:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Also, you can visit our secular forum here:

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It is here, I found out about Rational Recovery/AVRT which you can find information on by visiting the above link in Secular Connections or google Rational Recovery AVRT.

I used AVRT to quit and of course post here.

deeker 05-03-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cedar1373 (Post 3948933)
I wanted to introduce myself. I am a 40 year old alcoholic. I am excited to be here!

Welcome Cedar you will find all kinds of support here. If you click on newcomer daily support threads and look for 24 hour club, we'd love for you to sign up and commit for 24 hours to not drink or drug.

:)

AnotherPaul 05-03-2013 04:35 PM

Welcome.

If not AA, I hope you do find a group support system that works for you. More than one way to skin a cat, and all.

Best of luck to you in your sobriety.

Dee74 05-03-2013 04:52 PM

Hi Cedar

I merged all your introductory threads into one- it can get a little confusing with multiple threads in different forums :)

SR has a lot of members using a lot of recovery methods - some use AA, but not all of us.

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

Read around and post as much as you like.Do check out the link Received posted too.

Cedar1373 05-03-2013 05:07 PM

Elegant, it felt like a cult to me and I had many bad experiences there but everyone has different experiences. Hope it works for you. :)

Cedar1373 05-03-2013 05:09 PM

Dee74, sorry about the multiple posts. :)

sassu78 05-03-2013 05:18 PM

Welcome Cedar! You will find lots of support and amazing people from here

Mizzuno 05-03-2013 05:30 PM

Cedar....I love Cedar. I have a bottle of essential oil called Texas Cedar. It is so soothing to me. Welcome! You have come to an amazing place. Lots of support and love. Keep posting and reading.

sugarbear1 05-03-2013 05:45 PM

Without the Gift of Desperation, the steps of AA often don't work well. As long as alcohol works and is a solution, you have no need for a new solution.

There are other methods for staying stopped.

Rational Recovery
AVRT
SMART
SOS
Life Ring
Power to Quit
Women for Sobriety

All have their own websites! Pick one and work it well!! :)

Hevyn 05-03-2013 05:53 PM

Pleased to meet you, cedar! I was lost until I found SR. I felt that no one in my life understood how I really felt, & I couldn't explain it to them. Here, I didn't have to - everyone was going through the same thing, and I felt encouraged for the first time. You can do this, cedar. Congratulations on wanting to change and for taking this big step to have a better life.

ElegantlyWasted 05-03-2013 05:59 PM

So get it, at least where I am there are lots and lots of different groups to choose from. I'll second the above mention of Rational Recovery; while I never did their group meeting, I did find some worksheets on their website that really helped me. If your interested try googling and search around here for more info (ie secular connections). Again welcome...