SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Exercise is key (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293410-exercise-key.html)

gmanriley 05-02-2013 02:36 PM

Exercise is key

Day 11
This morning I was feeling lousy... tired and cranky.
I had thoughts about drinking, and a wave of negativity seemed to infiltrate my monkey brain.

I forced myself out the door and went for a bike ride, followed by a quick workout and swim at the gym.

I am now home and feel calm and relaxed...happy that I beat my demons today, happy that I didn't let myself down.

Exercise is the key

Sazzle 05-02-2013 03:01 PM

Having only just got far enough into my recovery to start exercising, I completely agree! I feel so much better after a workout.

I was so physically unfit and wretched in the beginning that I found other ways to change my state/being such as cooking and gardening.

Anything that takes our focus outside our heads is beneficial, but I must admit to being addicted to the endorphins exercise provides (and I thought I'd never say that!!)

S x

Sazzle 05-02-2013 03:02 PM

Oh, and so sorry! Congrats on 11 days!

You rock.

Zebra1275 05-02-2013 05:43 PM

Regular exercise (for me that's tennis 3 - 4 times a week)is an important part of my sobriety. It also helps me deal with a stressful job.

When I wake up in the morning I'm never hung over, but I'm physically sore. But being physically sore is much better than being alcoholically numb.

ElegantlyWasted 05-02-2013 05:54 PM

Awesome! About to go give the dog a Bobwalk...(not a typo; dog's name is Bob) Healthy endorphins here we come.... I know; sometimes you do feel like and you just have to make it happen. At day eight I feel like I'm a bundle of nervous raging energy!!!! Will resist the call of Bacchus.

Time2Focus 05-02-2013 05:56 PM

I'm trying my best to exercise more, but it is really hard when I can't sleep well at night. I ran outside once this week and this morning I got on the treadmill and then worked out with some weights I have and did some push ups and sit ups but I just felt like I was dragging. I'm going to the YMCA in the morning and going to try a cycling class. I hope that being around other people will motivate me.

Skyjumper 05-02-2013 06:26 PM

I hope that being around other people will motivate me
Sure seems to help around here on SR!

Time2Focus 05-02-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Skyjumper (Post 3947566)
Sure seems to help around here on SR!

Very true my friend.

Opivotal 05-02-2013 06:33 PM

Congratulations gmanriley! I agree with you, exercise was key for me. So was all the nervous energy. :)

Zebra1275 05-02-2013 06:35 PM

I played tennis in high school and then didn't pick up a racquet for about 30 years. Now that I've started playing again I've found that I love to play. That makes the exercise easy, it's something I love to do. I've also met dozens of people who love to play as much as I do. I now have a bunch of new friends who enjoy a healthy lifestyle. I'm blessed.

duane1 05-02-2013 09:24 PM

I run just about every day. Keeps the attitude high. Keeps the demons away. Keeps the weight off.

Admiral 05-02-2013 09:27 PM

It really does make a difference, when we quit using drugs it becomes necessary to do routine maintenance to ensure that things don't get out of hand.

Yogiebare 05-02-2013 09:37 PM

Exercise Your Way Back To Healthy Living!

Hi Gman,

This is my 11th day without alcohol, actually Friday makes 12 days for me too.

When I got home from work I did 1250 jumping jacks in 35 minutes. Exercise is tremendously helpful to take you to a better place. It helped me take the edge off.

My goal is 30 days without alcohol, then a day at a time.

Wishing you all the best.

Yogiebare

gmanriley 05-02-2013 09:41 PM

thanks Yogie.
that's a lot of jumping jacks, way to go.

Dave42001 05-02-2013 09:47 PM

Keep up the great work!

Check this out.. Met a great guy at a meeting tonight shared this deal with me.. He's very active in the program..

I'm going to an open event tomorrow night.. Really a great way to socialize with other sober people..watch the video when you have a moment.. I'm with you exercise is huge in my recovery..

Phoenix Multisport

mecanix 05-02-2013 09:50 PM

Sitting round in bed eating chocolate got me through the first few months :) If excersise is good for you i'm glad ,

keep on keeping on 11 days :You_Rock_

M