Notices

Ye Olde Sober Weekend Thread 3-5 May

Old 05-04-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

It amazes me as to what sets me off. Seeing a picture of a friend with red streaks on her hair! Almost lost it! Ridiculous. I've been wanting red streaks for a while. It infuriated me but you know what!? WHO CARES? It's not worth ruining my life.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

That craving is the voice of a liar. Don't listen to that sumbeach.

You've got this.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Ring ring! Better late than never eh? Off to bed.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Walked to the store and got The Hobbit for. Redbox. Wooohoooo!!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

hello!!! i went to 3 meetings today. i guess i really didn't have anything better to do. also, i got the day wrong and had an early Cinco de Mayo lunch with my husband at a great Mexican restaurant just down the street. i'm making meatloaf now and catching up on Game of Thrones. all in all, a good day. hope y'all are making the best of your weekends as well!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I went to a meeting this morning, then out to breakfast with the AA group, then met with my sponsor. This afternoon, I got some things done around home.

The weather was AWESOME today!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Up bright and early on Sunday morning. Going to church and then on for a walk with a Muslim friend after that. Should be a good way to get some different spiritual perspective on things.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
The weather was AWESOME today!
same here, Coldfusion! it's taking forever for spring to settle in up here in Wisconsin. we've got several days of highs in the mid to upper 60s and i'm super grateful for that!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Woke up a bit despondent this morning , am trying to project to far into the future and am thinking about things that haven't happend yet .. so i'm just focusing on today now ..

seeing you guys getting through the early days , thrills me , all trying so hard , thankyou for sharing your journies,
now i'm smiling thinking of you all ... thats it, dispondancy gone , optimism and wonder now engaged

Have a great sunnyday y'all , M
Old 05-05-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My son is home from college. He would be home for the summer, but he is going to take a summer class this year, so he's only home for a week. He's the only one of my brood who can look down on me. Literally - he's 6'2"

We went to see The Prairie Home Companion show live yesterday. That was a lot of fun. A great variety show that is broadcast live on the radio. Garrison Keillor hosts.

Railing is finished, but I didn't get the benches done. Too much rain yesterday morning. Gives me something to do today.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hello!

Another beautiful day weather wise. People upstairs had a party last night. They were playing beer pong. .? Really? A bunch of people in their 30s playing beer pong. They cleaned the yard up this morning and they did not continue late so no big deal. I watched tv and played on the iPad all evening. Grilled some shrimp and chicken.

Going to the meatball shop in New York City today. Look it up. Cool place. I have a pension for good meatballs like non has for pig.

Remember to smile today folks!

I will check in later.

K
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

We live for the Italian butcher shop in Joisey!
I had Prosciutto this am with provolone and fruit, sundried tomato and Proscuitto on a 1/2 bagel..
Proscuitto (pronounced Proshoot) is the first cousin of bacon...you do not cook it.

I know meatballs! (ask Zippy how he makes them)...The first Mr. Fandy's sicilian grandma taught me how to make them and make the best gravy (it is always gravy in Joisey, not "sauce")
Old 05-05-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
We went to see The Prairie Home Companion show live yesterday. That was a lot of fun. A great variety show that is broadcast live on the radio. Garrison Keillor hosts.
you have no idea how jealous i am!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Woke up a bit despondent this morning , am trying to project to far into the future and am thinking about things that haven't happend yet .. so i'm just focusing on today now ..

seeing you guys getting through the early days , thrills me , all trying so hard , thankyou for sharing your journies,
now i'm smiling thinking of you all ... thats it, dispondancy gone , optimism and wonder now engaged

Have a great sunnyday y'all , M
Lovely post Mecanix, thank you! Sitting in the sunshine listening to the birds chirping and feeling so happy about not drinking yesterday at a social function with a bunch of very thirsty Swedes.... I too find it hard to stay in the moment and enjoy it, but right now I feel very happy and content
Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hey Mecanix - thanks for your post!

Non, I live in Lake Woebegone Land - I like the show but as God as my witness, I don't understand while Keillor has to sing all the time.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Struggling today to keep a positive attitude; crazy because it is wonderful weather but I am alone today. I know the best thing for me to do is to get out and do something. I am going to move my deck furniture out and go buy flowers and patio "stuff". It was easier in some ways when I was an unmotivated drunk. I always did the same thing; I went to the local bar and hung out and drank my day away. Now that I'm sober I find it takes more energy as some type of decisions need to be made about what to do. At least the payoff is always better!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i missed my 10AM meeting this morning but i made some calls and went out for food and fellowship afterwards. there's something just wonderful about brunch with a bunch of AAers! of course, our food orders got a little scrambled but i haven't been to a food outing with AAers where the food orders didn't get a little messed up. ah well! good times with great people. i'm in the best mood i've been in in a while!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Turned up fresh and on time for church this morning. The sermon was a incredibly tedious but the music and the fellowship was nice. Bit sad that a couple I liked at church seem to have stopped coming but no doubt some new nice people will appear soon. Went off to meet a friend for lunch after that and she was nearly an hour late but I just pottered around the shops and didn't go into a bar so it was no big deal. Went into work for a short time this evening to sort out some loose ends which gives me a good sense of achievement.

Think I'll watch a couple of TV shows online now and have salad and some fruit. I'll aim to check in before I go to bed later. Hope everyone else is having a calm and sober weekend, especially those who've got a holiday on Monday.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Exclamation Ring Ring!

Here's an important announcement!

This is my 14th day without alcohol.

I had Friday Saturday and today off work. It was very hard to keep to my commitment at times. Friday was very stressful but I managed to get some long overdue stuff done that I'd been procrastinating about.

The weather has been lousy. I put out the bird feeder and enjoy watching the action.

A few things that help take away the need to drink, in my experience:
eating
writing
reading
exercise
meditation

I try not to stay online too long, maybe just being restless. My spouse is a phone call away. She does not know I have stopped drinking, and no clue how much I used to drink.

My friend, a co-worker I met several years ago, had a couple of DUIs and it really put a strain on her health and career. She was very lucky she wasn't killed because she was way over the limit (0.25). I met up with her a month ago, while I was still drinking the straight shots of 151 rum, vodka and etc. We went to dinner and I kind of expected her to have a drink, but she told me she has been dry for quite a while. At the time, I felt sorry for her. But only a few weeks later, I am starting to understand her determination to stay quit.

Ring ring!! A successful weekend and I earned it. Great to see so many others doing well. Onward and upward together!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good grief, that was a full day of hard labor. I even had my son helping me, and we still didn't get as much done as I wanted to. But we made a lot of progress, and it's looking great. Plus I got to spend the day with my son, and I don't get that much anymore now that he is at college.

New episode of Game of Thrones tonight. My son and I both read the books, and we're full of nerdiness about the series.

Sounds like lots of great sober weekends happened out there, so I am calling my Shakespearean theme a success.