Notices

Ye Olde Sober Weekend Thread 3-5 May

Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Bacon cheese-cake...I feel kinda dirty but I like it!

Snow has turned to freezing rain - sober and off to the Parkinson's Walk. Have a great Saturday all!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

10% chance of rain? Then what's that wet stuff falling from the sky?

My weatherman needs a beating! UGH!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

58 and sunny-bunny in NJ....I planted some black Krim tomatoes last week and cherry tomatoes, still working on my flowers and planting the dahlia bulbs for summer color..
Bacon on cheesecake is a no go for me.
However...bacon and creamcheese on a toasted bagel with sliced cucumber is heavenly too!
Weasey--- try to find the thai peppers, they grow like little trees with tiny red peppers, look like Xmas lights, the peppers are the size of my pinky nail, but much hotter than anything else. very decorative.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
TTB

So...first sober Friday night in a long time in the books...feels good, like I actually accomplished something!

It's 10:45am here in Jersey and I ate a great breakfast (oatmeal with bananas) some coffee...oh and also went to the gym and worked out for over an hour! Normally, I am just waking up feeling like crap!

Keeping busy today..
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

So, ultimately sleep eluded me last night - but I'm sober this morning, so even though it was a very long night, at least I'm not hungover this morning.

Miserable day here so am planning to stay in and watch TV. I'm starting to realize that my drinking has a lot to do with loneliness and boredom. But, that's a vicious circle 'cause when I drink, I isolate which just exacerbates the whole situation. Anyway, just some clarity this morning.

Now ... I need to find something to do with the next 12 hours.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Your lack of commitment is noted.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I emptied 2 more of last year's planters, spread the old dirt into the surrounding gardens (i have an end unit townhouse), sprayed my patio chairs with clorox cleanup and and am scrubbing them down.

here is the side view; I started building the wall of rocks when my mother got sick and i got sober...it's an ongoing project, she passed 2 years ago tomorrow....(yes on Cinco de Mayo)
rockwall1.jpg
Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Washing machine plumbed in

Cinco de Mayo ( yes i realize it's probably cinque de mai x some history ) but it sounds like a yummy sandwich to me , i recon it'd be in a french stick and have lashings of bacon and garlic mayo in it , poached eggs maybe .. perhaps some green chilli salsa , some basil pesto ...
hmm i feel a high calorie kitchen experiment coming on here ..

Bestwishes, M
Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Was feeling exhausted and miserable from the lack of sleep last night, but somewhere, something said get off the couch for the first time in 4 days and move. So, went to the gym in the building, sweated for 45 minutes (even though I had to fight that little demon that kept saying "why bother?") and feel really good now! Really proud of myself for just getting up and doing something since I've been super isolating. Maybe it'll even help me sleep tonight.

Small victories!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Got up at 7am to run an 8K race this am. This was my view. High of 80 here today.

image-2046158283.jpg

image-2741363484.jpg

Really no desire to drink. This is day 14 for me. I feel I have a completely different way of thinking now. Seems to help with my craving and anxiety.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Interesting approach there non.... Sober siblings we are huh?

I am in for this weekend. It's a big one for me with regard to things going on around here.

K
Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
58 and sunny-bunny in NJ....I planted some black Krim tomatoes last week and cherry tomatoes, still working on my flowers and planting the dahlia bulbs for summer color..
However...bacon and creamcheese on a toasted bagel with sliced cucumber is heavenly too!
Weasey--- try to find the thai peppers, they grow like little trees with tiny red peppers, look like Xmas lights, the peppers are the size of my pinky nail, but much hotter than anything else. very decorative.
OH MY! Thai peppers are the hottest thing I have ever eaten. I worked with a cook who was Thai. She made all this amazing food, and one day she brought in some homemade soup with a little bit of Thai pepper. I was sweating profusely and completely overwhelmed by the fire that was in my intestines. I think anybody who can eat a Thai Pepper is a RockStar in my book. May the 4th be with you.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Nice wall, Fandy! I'm with Mizzuno, Thai peppers? Oy! Oy!
Lulu212 - You've got to move it move it!
Awesome views Triathlynne. An 8K!?! I need some Motrin just to read about 8K.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Still going strong but I want to tell you all a story, if I may.

I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning and headed out to meet a friend for coffee. I was a bit early so I went in search of breakfast first. A guy approached me in the street with a bottle of whisky in one hand and a can of beer in the other. He followed me into a shop and started waving loads of big denomination bank notes around. "Let me get you a drink? What do you want?" he kept shouting.

Seriously, the guy was dropping the notes on the floor and the shop keeper probably would have sold him another bottle of whisky just to get rid of him. I said "I don't want your money and I don't want a drink." And I really meant it. This was about 10am in the morning!

If I'd been drinking on Friday night and hungover this morning who knows what I would have done. Drank with him? Robbed him? I dread to think.

As it was I stayed sober and clean, met my friend and had a really productive Saturday. I went to an AA meeting as planned this afternoon and shared about this incident. Please pray for the guy I met this morning. Pray that he too finds a way out of the insanity and misery the drink is causing.

You know that bit at the beginning of the meeting where we have a moment's silence to remember the alcoholic who will die tonight? He was in serious danger for his life. And so would I have been if I'd not reached out for support. Thank you, SR friends. Thank you AA. Thank you Higher Power.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Ye Olde??? I'm about to look that up in the urban dictionary; JK. Very Shakespearean Nonsensical!! Sing me up and let's make that opening post happen...
Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
Still going strong but I want to tell you all a story, if I may.

I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning and headed out to meet a friend for coffee. I was a bit early so I went in search of breakfast first. A guy approached me in the street with a bottle of whisky in one hand and a can of beer in the other. He followed me into a shop and started waving loads of big denomination bank notes around. "Let me get you a drink? What do you want?" he kept shouting.

Seriously, the guy was dropping the notes on the floor and the shop keeper probably would have sold him another bottle of whisky just to get rid of him. I said "I don't want your money and I don't want a drink." And I really meant it. This was about 10am in the morning!

If I'd been drinking on Friday night and hungover this morning who knows what I would have done. Drank with him? Robbed him? I dread to think.

As it was I stayed sober and clean, met my friend and had a really productive Saturday. I went to an AA meeting as planned this afternoon and shared about this incident. Please pray for the guy I met this morning. Pray that he too finds a way out of the insanity and misery the drink is causing.

You know that bit at the beginning of the meeting where we have a moment's silence to remember the alcoholic who will die tonight? He was in serious danger for his life. And so would I have been if I'd not reached out for support. Thank you, SR friends. Thank you AA. Thank you Higher Power.
This is awful. I dread to think that this is how I would end up! Argh. It just makes me more determined in life to keep living.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

"And hold their manhoods (alkies in bars) cheap when he speaks (members of Ye Olde thread)"

Very Nice.....
Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Back from the Parkinsons Walk where some people took nips to stay warm in the freezing rain. Back and exhausted. There is something about freezing rain that is worse than snow - wears me out. Birthday party tonight for a friend who loves his whiskey - tonight's excuse for not drinking is that my blood pressure is too high. Still not ready to come out as an alkie. Have a great, sober Saturday everyone.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Early Saturday evening; it was a beautiful day today! Coffee and breakfast outside this morning. Spent some time with my Mother today and she actually didn't drive me nuts. Steak on the grill at b/f's and early in recliner watching hockey game. Lots of AV activity thinking about drinking but didn't buy what it was selling. Hoping tomorrow easier! I am gonig to be alone most of day so will have to think of ways to keep self busy! Sober weekenders are doing such a great job!!
Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Well crap. I'm checking in because I have the worse craving ever!!!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hang in there triathlynne - I'm thinking of you and know you can stare that sucker down!