Notices

harder than I thought

Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

harder than I thought

So today is day 4 for me. This sober thing is alot harder than i thought it was going to be. I'm being real hard on myself right now. All the 'bad' memories of when i was drunk are starting to pop into my head over and over again and are making me feel like a failure. I know I can not change the past, only learn from it and move on.

Today started off rough, was hard for me to get motivated. But eventually it got better. I coach a softball team and we had a game today. As I was driving to the game i realized I have to be a role model to these girls and I'm on the right path to that.

Just before I ran into a friend and she asked me if i was going out Thursday our friends birthday. At first I didn't totally confess to her I stopped drinking. I told her I had a final Friday morning (which i do) but then I told her im trying to stop drinking. I was a little embarrassed when i told her but then i felt relieved. I know it is going to be very tempting for me to go out tomorrow night but my plan is to study in the the library instead.

This is a very difficult journey but I know it will be rewarding, if I can stay on the wagon. I can't wait to start gaining confidence in myself ( not drunken confidence).

One day at a time.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it can be really awful when the bad memories of our drinking days jump into our heads. And, for me it lasted a lot longer than 4 days. I was very hard on myself and took a long time to begin to forgive myself. Forgiveness is a big part of recovery and hopefully you will find your way to forgive yourself.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are doing great and have nothing to be down about. Be proud of yourself! I guarantee you will not regret passing on that party come Friday morning.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there! I had an invite to a birthday party this coming Sat. Told my buddy that I have to work that day, which I do, and didn't know if I could make it or not. Truth is, I will be off work hours before his party and could make it, but I'm just not sure if I can do it.... he is a heavy drinker and I know he will be half drunk when I get there and make a public display about why I'm not throwing back beers with him. *sigh*
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Time2Focus: I know how you feel. My friends are all like that. They even tell me that I don't have a problem, that I'm overreacting. I do regret even telling them how I feel. From now on I will just keep my distance...
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just tell people the truth. If they care for you they will understand.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The journey to sobriety can be difficult, but it's so rewarding.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Past is the past- leave it there

Your doing superb on day 4!.its going to get better and better for you- you got your life back now! :-). Yay !!

Keep strong!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! On to day 5 woooh
Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Jackie, So today is day 4 for me? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Yes you are right, it's harder than you think for me to, but I am now 1021 days sober, 1 year 8 months no crack, and on the 5th of May, 11 months no cigarettes. I am finally chemical independent. Rootin for ya Jackie, you can do it.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 5 is great!
Be strong, day 5 is far to early to go out with people who drink right now. Period.
Get through this 1st weekend of being sober & you will feel even better!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on being on day 5!!! It's definitely not an easy road, but will definitely be worth it. In 2 days behind you. I totally understand how you feel. Hugs! You can do this!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jackie-on my day 5 I went to a wedding and didn't drink. (only day 17 today) It was one of the hardest things I've ever done but wow, was it worth it. Stick to your decisions, you can power through it. Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, it can be really awful when the bad memories of our drinking days jump into our heads. And, for me it lasted a lot longer than 4 days. I was very hard on myself and took a long time to begin to forgive myself. Forgiveness is a big part of recovery and hopefully you will find your way to forgive yourself.
Anna, do you have any suggestions on how to help newcomers (or frequent relapsers) forgive ourselves? I have a very hard time with this and feel it has led me to relapse many times. I would love to find the freedom that would come with forgiving myself. thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with zoids post!!! Help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If quitting and staying quit were easy we wouldn't need websites like Sober Recovery.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think we all have some pretty bad memories from drinking and things we did when drunk/hungover looking to drink that we'll never be proud of.

Whenever I think of one of those time or things I just think how if I don't drink, I won't add bad memories or do more things that I would NEVER do sober. Think of it as another reason not to drink and then let it go and think about what you're going to do today to take care of yourself and be better.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks, that is a excellent way of looking at the issue of bad memories!
Really resonated with me, as I'm plagued with shame and bad memories of bad behaviour.