SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Meditation (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293308-meditation.html)

ElegantlyWasted 05-01-2013 01:01 PM

Meditation

Anyone use Meditation and If so how do you use it? Thinking of trying it and wondering how other are using it.

toomuchtoolose 05-01-2013 01:10 PM

I havent tried meditation myself but have tried hatha yoga, which is part of the same type of method. It is about breathing and relaxation and really helped me

I think meditation is quite hard to learn but if you're interested yoga might be a way to start

Change4good 05-01-2013 01:12 PM

I haven't used mediation, but I have a few co-workers who love it. They say it centers them, provides peace, and allows them to be more productive in their day.

Hell, I might try it. :-)

Charmie 05-01-2013 02:01 PM

hey there.....there is a blogspot called frunobulax.
the guy that writes it has a meditation on there...real meditation for real alcoholics...he claims it is all you need....ive dipped in and out of it and found it pretty effective....might be worth a look for you :)

ru12 05-01-2013 02:34 PM

I meditate daily. I try to practice mindfulness throughout the day. Perhaps start by following the breath. Google " Thich Nhat Hahn Meditation".

StevenT 05-01-2013 02:39 PM

I can't say that I am anything close to perfect when it comes to meditation, but I do try to practice it in my daily living. Because I am in AA, and have worked the 11th step, meditation is one of the tools that I have to maintain my spirituality and attain balance emotionally and mentally.

I don't do anything formal, such as tranquil music, the lotus position etc. but I do find a quiet place, practice breathing techniques and focus on one thing, usually my breathing, until the rest of my day becomes non-consequential. I'm still pretty new to meditation, but with what little experience I have I can say that there are many benefits to it.

LadyinBC 05-01-2013 03:55 PM

There are lots of meditation tapes on youtube. I actually listen to nature sounds before I go to sleep. I just listen on my laptop. There is also something called binary beats, I've used one for headaches.

Anna 05-01-2013 04:37 PM

I've used Meditation for years. I'm not always consistent with it, but it's always been in my life in recovery. My belief is that when you meditate, you can listen to your soul, to that quiet place within you that is never buffeted by the stuff on the outside. That is you. Eckhart Tolle has amazing instructions on meditation in "A New Earth".

360shoes 05-01-2013 04:48 PM

Yes. Years of it. Its just a part of my day. Several times a day. For me, it was amazingly helpful with cravings. I just see them as thoughts and I never held on to them. Nothing more nothing less. Works for a lot of thoughts and feelings in life. It's all about not clinging along with getting a whole lot of other benefits other folks talked about.

YouTube has a gazillion guided meditations if you want to start practicing.

Jackie3 05-01-2013 06:00 PM

I would recommend it! I just did some yoga and I feel much better after it. Start your day with meditation. Try and clear your mind and imagine how you want your day to turn out. It a great tool. Good luck!

OneLessLonely 05-01-2013 06:40 PM

In the last few weeks I have been meditating at the recommendation if my therapist and I enjoy it a lot. I sit comfortably, close my eyes, and say in my head "in" as I breathe in and say in my head "out" as I breathe out. The reason is that the words "in" and "out" are not attached to any emotion or judgement. They're objective words that describe what is going on in that exact moment and keeps me from thinking about anything except for my breathing. It helps because I'm a huge over thinker and this slows my thinking down, which I used to drink to do. Anytime my mind still happens to wander, I don't get frustrated, I acknowledge I've started thinking and refocus on my breathing. Hope you find a way that works for you!

Coldfusion 05-01-2013 10:44 PM

There is a weekly meeting here called "Mindfulness," which is centered around meditation as opposed to prayer. This week, the topic was a Japanese tea ceremony (complete with tea and cookies).

A simple act, like making and drinking a plain-tasting cup of tea, can be a meditation.

coming_clean 05-01-2013 11:29 PM

I started out meditation for I was looking for a 'cure'. I do vipassana meditation (buddhist-awareness). Throughout several years I learned there is no cure for addiction, for life, for myself. I learned a great deal about myself and humanity in general. It's been very tough but rewarding.

I do not recommend this type of meditation when someone is in early recovery. I'm not doing my practise at the moment, for I am quitting smoking cigarettes. I find my sobriety way more important then my meditation-practise.
In three weeks or so, when the worst is over, I will start sitting again.