Notices

I'm back

Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kys

I'm back

Day 1 down, feels good.

I've got a typical triggers in front of me, long night working (might as well do it with a few drinks right?), how many times I've done that. I've learnt I don't get anything done, and the workload just builds up and up...

One example, but I had to remind myself to break that vicious cycle, knuckle down and make some progress, and to do that I need to be sober. To not break away from the cycle will start to unravel the things in life that are important to me. I've started to see small hints of it and I don't want that future.

Boy I've gone through a few learnings and I continue to learn. One huge one - I've used alcohol as a way to not have to pursue those fantastic things in life, I guess it's easy to stay complacent, and alcohol is an all too effective dampener to keep me there. Not saying we shouldn't take the time to be comfortable where we are, but for me I've maintained an unhealthy station for a while now (threw alcohol into that to stay there).

What I'm saying is I've learnt that I need to actively go about overcoming alcohol or it will absolutely not happen.

Same goes, I can't use alcohol as the reason to not pursue those things I want to. I use it like that. To not have to face the future.

Thanks as always guys. Hope I'm making some sense.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kys

So thankful to have this place.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Kys. Welcome back!

It does make sense. Alcohol curbs any development and improvement in life, it sucks our power and pushes us down. It owns our mind and makes believe we can't achieve what we can.

Best luck to your on sober journey and pursuing your dreams)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back! Kick off your shoes and stay a while.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kys

I will! Day 2 all good!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by Kys View Post
Boy I've gone through a few learnings and I continue to learn. One huge one - I've used alcohol as a way to not have to pursue those fantastic things in life, I guess it's easy to stay complacent, and alcohol is an all too effective dampener to keep me there. Not saying we shouldn't take the time to be comfortable where we are, but for me I've maintained an unhealthy station for a while now (threw alcohol into that to stay there).

So well put. Recently I became friends with someone a few years younger than me who is really active creatively. I found myself thinking, "Ah, I used to be like that at your age!"

And then I thought... that's something someone decades older than me should be thinking... I should not be so complacent. I'm not even thirty, I've barely even begun and I'm hanging up my coat!

Thanks for articulating that... I hadn't connected that with alcohol until just now, but you're totally right. I've been too afraid to be ambitious, and alcohol was my security blanket to take my mind off of things.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good thread here Kys. How I wish I had stayed sober for my life. I may have some left but I missed so much opportunity because of drinking. I do have today though and I have to remember that I can't get those years back; I can only do today's work today. It is wonderful to get sober when you are young!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Graet you are back
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 24 hours. Stay Strong Stay Sober!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol curbs any development and improvement in life, it sucks our power and pushes us down. It owns our mind and makes believe we can't achieve what we can.
This resonates very, very strongly with me. I think I need to print it out and stick it up every where I can see it.

I've used alcohol as a way to not have to pursue those fantastic things in life, I guess it's easy to stay complacent, and alcohol is an all too effective dampener to keep me there. Not saying we shouldn't take the time to be comfortable where we are, but for me I've maintained an unhealthy station for a while now (threw alcohol into that to stay there).
This one too.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks for the support guys. Few bumps but I will never give up, and I'm enjoying a sober day today.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kys

I'll be pulling an all nighter tonight to basically catch up on all my work that is due. Had I not been drinking over the past weeks I wouldn't be in this position, not even close.

I know sleep and rest is a big part of recovery and once I push through tonight I can start to reap the rewards. So it's energy drinks for me tonight!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kys

I'd normally be straight to the liquor store to 'get through' nights like this.

I've LEARNT from that mistake.