SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Productivity Increase (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/293263-productivity-increase.html)

Nonsensical 05-01-2013 05:08 AM

Productivity Increase

Since I stopped drinking I have remodeled a room, rebuilt my deck, reignited a little side business I have, and laid the groundwork for another. At my primary job I have got ahead on paperwork, and taken on 2 huge new projects. My staff has mixed reactions to my newfound zeal, but I think most are happy to be making a contribution to the organization.

Anyone else experiencing a personal productivity boost?

Living 05-01-2013 05:20 AM

Congratulations! Waking up with a clear head and energy is wonderful.
My accomplishments are minor compared to yours, but I have started cleaning one room a day in my house. Big accomplishment for me because I used to drink, feel awful and neglect dusting. LOL

Troae 05-01-2013 05:20 AM

When considering that 3/4 of my waking hours are no longer spent tending to hangover symptoms, the obvious answer is yes. But right now, I'm still experiencing a lot of brain fog that is causing me to simply sit and stare instead of being productive. Based on mine, as well as other people's experiences, I am optimistic that the fog will lift, and the full benefits of sobriety will reveal themselves in time.

Troae 05-01-2013 05:23 AM

Wow, and we have the exact same sobriety date too. Now that's depressing...

Nonsensical 05-01-2013 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Troae (Post 3944978)
Wow, and we have the exact same sobriety date too. Now that's depressing...

I had been sober 6 weeks prior to that date, then I took a face plant for a day. My list actually goes back to January. :)

Weasel1966 05-01-2013 05:37 AM

Non... I have in personal ways but there are other things that hold me back... You know what I mean. But I am in the gates! Yeahaw!

Anna 05-01-2013 05:39 AM

It's surprising how much energy and brain-power is available when we stop focusing on alcohol all the time. :)

Time2Focus 05-01-2013 06:34 AM

Good for you!

Only on day 4 here, but I have definitely noticed my productivity has increased. My energy level is still somewhat low b/c I'm having a lot of trouble getting to sleep at night, but I'm hoping that will pass soon. I work a late 2nd shift type schedule and when I get off work, I go home to a house where everyone is asleep - prime environment for me to sit and drink and have nobody to count how many. This is one of the biggest factors I think that led me to drinking way too much on a nightly basis.

I'm looking forward to the weeks and months ahead and hoping to get projects completed like you have and hopefully take on a new hobby or two. Anything to keep my mind off of sitting around drinking!

Troae 05-01-2013 06:43 AM

Don't mean to hijack your thread, non, but the most noticeable side effect of my sobriety was how incredibly tired I was during the first 30 days. Sure, it was amazing to drop into bed at 9:30 and sleep absolutely undisturbed for 8 or 9 hours, but even that got old after awhile. As I approach my 60 day mark, it's getting better, but I still don't feel completely "normal".

Anyone else here experience that?

And for the record, I fully accept the fact that I'm not going to undo 30 years of alcohol abuse with 30 days of sobriety, so I'm definitely trying to stay realistic about how I'm feeling at any given moment.

Peace.

soberclover 05-01-2013 07:53 AM

I'm not the Energizer Bunny that Non is but I must say I'm more "on" at work. The creativity is flowing and I'm a lot more in to what I'm doing at work. Hang in there Troae.....I think we expend so much emotional energy towards our recovery efforts that we just need to sleep to "reboot". I'm at 5 months and I'm still an early to bed gal.

isinganyway 05-01-2013 07:57 AM

Troae, you're right! Rome wasn't built in a day and 30 years won't be fixed in 60 days! Hang in there :)

@Non - LOL at "Faceplant", great terminology :P and Yes, I am FAR more productive!

Sinderos 05-01-2013 08:13 AM

I'm at the beginning of day 2 so obviously I haven't noticed any change yet other than not feeling like I was going to pass out in the shower due to a bad hangover this morning. :) Your thread is very encouraging though. It gives me hope and something to look forward to.

ClearLight 05-01-2013 11:06 AM

Yup.

Big increase in productivity at work. Even at home - though I'm still pretty lazy at home.

Plus, when I went into work hungover, anybody could just walk over me. I had no self respect due to the shame and being physically dragging.

So - that's a double plus.

:mowing