Notices

Class of May 2013

Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had 6 birthdays now - no champagne newem
The celebration really is in the occasion I think - family and friends, good times?

D
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Newem, i celebrate with sparkling fruit juice and i look around here for non-alcoholic drink recipes. You can google non-alcoholic drink recipes too and find a ton of results. You don't need alcoholic drinks of any kind to celebrate so don't feel hampered. Celebrate the occasion and knowing that you're not at risk of getting drunk and acting the fool then waking up with regrets. I personally have never woken up wishing i'd drunk and i can't count the number of times i've woken up and wish i'd stayed sober. So celebrate your husband's birthday and celebrate your own personal day of sobriety. It's all about how you look at it.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

I'm with you. My husband's bday party is Saturday. With a redneck theme, there will be lots of drinking. I look forward to not being the one slurring my speech, saying and repeating stupid things. It's more entertaining to be sober when others around are intoxicated.
Last night I wanted a drink so bad but then I remembered that I had recorded American Idol. It's been my new thing to watch that show once the kids are off to bed. It's so peaceful and such a good feeling to know that I had made it through the trickiest time of the day without a drink. I didn't want to spoil that feeling. As an added bonus, I actually remember what happened last night on the show. And then other things happened that I remembered....
Did any of you have your significant other come up to you in the morning an say, "last night was nice!" with a wink, which you couldn't remember because you we're so drunk? That's happened so many times. I hated that. Pretending to remember.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Beginning day 5. Just checking in. Not much to say so far. I hope everyone is doing well.

Stay Strong May-tees!
TBML
Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Hello All,

Checking in to see how everyone is doing. Starting day 11, and feel good. Weekends are a challenge of course, but I am determined! Got lots of plans to keep busy. Going to finally clean the outside of the upstairs windows so we can see through them again, going to get my hair cut and eyebrows waxed (tired of looking like a hag), and taking my daughter to the bookstore for a couple new books tomorrow.

Have a great and sober weekend everyone!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone, starting Day 5 here as well. Stressing about everything I have to get done before our trip. I have always been a big procrastinator and wait until the last minute to get things done. I am hoping this will start to change as I move onward in my sobriety? We have to leave at 3am for the airport! Ugh, might as well not even go to bed?

Hope everyone has a good weekend, I will try to check in while I am gone, but don't worry if I am MIA for a few days Good luck, Beavis, with your husbands party. Stay strong, you can do this!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
I'm with you. My husband's bday party is Saturday. With a redneck theme, there will be lots of drinking. I look forward to not being the one slurring my speech, saying and repeating stupid things. It's more entertaining to be sober when others around are intoxicated.
Last night I wanted a drink so bad but then I remembered that I had recorded American Idol. It's been my new thing to watch that show once the kids are off to bed. It's so peaceful and such a good feeling to know that I had made it through the trickiest time of the day without a drink. I didn't want to spoil that feeling. As an added bonus, I actually remember what happened last night on the show. And then other things happened that I remembered....
Did any of you have your significant other come up to you in the morning an say, "last night was nice!" with a wink, which you couldn't remember because you we're so drunk? That's happened so many times. I hated that. Pretending to remember.
I hear that Beavis! My husband and I are going to be celebrating our 14th anniversary on Wednesday, and this will be the first time without wine/brandy...going to be a little hard, but I know I have to do it. But good point...I will look forward to remembering our "celebration" the next morning:-)
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Day 10 today, feeling better than I did last night. The evenings seem to be the worst time for me.

I had to fill in a medical form this morning, and on the questionnaire there was a question: "do you drink alcohol, beer, wine?". I hesitated for ages, but I decided to tick "no". Do ppl think that was ok to do? I really want to identify myself as a non-drinker, but at only 10 days, do you think it was sort of deceitful?
Interested in any response, thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Leshar, that line on the Dr.'s forms has always haunted me. I always rounded down and lied about how many days per week. Now it's like, I think I don't drink, but not sure. I used to drink a lot but not so much now. Trying to quit or something. They need to add an "It's complicated" on that one.
I think it's important to just let your doctor know if you were a heavy drinker. Livers and such.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Thanks, Beavis, "it's complicated" haha, I like that!

I've never told any Dr. re my drinking, oh that's not exactly true, I did tell one Dr. a couple of years ago, I think I was trying to broach the subject of my concern about my drinking, but I lied about the extent; I was going through an awful experience at the time, but he just said, "well, just don't go to the liquor store". If only it were that easy!!

Liver seems to be ok, thank goodness, I have to get liver enzymes done every so often because I'm on meds for arthritis, and liver enzymes are within normal limits. I should sooo not be drinking when taking these meds, but that hasn't stopped me for years.

I read somewhere for people who are quitting smoking, that if ppl ( not medical personnel admittedly) ask, "do you smoke", it is better for them to say, "I don't smoke", rather than, "I'm quitting at the moment", something like that, sort of reframes the person as a non-smoker, wonder if it is better for us to do the same?

Have a great birthday party tomorrow!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone,
I am on day 10. I can relate to all these posts. Celebrating without alcohol, procrastinating ... Yes. However, today my house is clean and I do not have a desire to drink. I am only working for my husband's business right now, which is usually in the evening so I try to keep busy doing things around the house. At first I felt "frozen" about the first 3 days and could not get motivated to do anything but dwell on my situation. Now, I have gotten past that and am quite motivated.
Beavis I can totally relate to the parties where everyone is drinking and I'm the only one sober. I , too, like the fact that I'm not slurry my speech( ha my husband can no longer call me slurricane the day after, thank God) and I remember the whole night AND I don't have that panic in the AM thinking "what did I do this time to embarrass myself". It is such a great feeling in the morning to remember my life. I was addicted to benzos for 15 yrs. and with alcohol my mind became erased. The last 5 yrs are a blurr and life is too great to be living in a fog!
To update.. My husband and I are working things out ( thanks Dee74!!!) and things are looking up. Taking a deep breath in times if frustration is the key to my sobriety right now. Journaling helps me too. If I write everything down and then reread it it does not seem That bad. Sometimes I will write a letter to people that have hurt me, read it to myself and then rip it up and throw it away. If I want to be real dramatic I will burn it as a symbol of letting go of the hurt.
I plan to go to a sweat lodge on May 25 and I have been to one before. It really helps me spiritually. It is like a rebirth and is very healing.
Have a great sober day May class
Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Hi everyone,

Day 10 today, feeling better than I did last night. The evenings seem to be the worst time for me.

I had to fill in a medical form this morning, and on the questionnaire there was a question: "do you drink alcohol, beer, wine?". I hesitated for ages, but I decided to tick "no". Do ppl think that was ok to do? I really want to identify myself as a non-drinker, but at only 10 days, do you think it was sort of deceitful?
Interested in any response, thanks!
Well, I have been in those shoes along with the others that have commented. I can relate to your story somewhat. I stepped on a nail while cutting the grass and had to go to the medical center. This was during my first attemp at sobriety back 2011. I had been sober for over a month. When the Doc asked me if I drink, my wife and I smiled and said "nope". Now, my plan was genuinely to quit permantly. So, that had some influence on my answer (It did feel nice to say "no" too). But, like Beavis says, what was I supposed to say. Well, I used to, but I don't anymore. I haven't had a drink in 45 days. I think they would've looked at me funny and been like "uh, Ok?

So, I don't think you were deceitful, because you weren't putting yourself at some risk.

Now, if I were getting tests done and I was asked "do you drink alcohol" and I said "no". And the tests that came back detecting very high liver enzymes, I'm sure the Doc would say "are you sure you don't drink?", because your enzymes are very high. So, now we need to test you for Hepatitus C or something. Then I would've had to come clean and said "well, I was a bit embarressed and was hoping for better results".

And believe me, I could see myself doint that.

So, either way the Doc is going to take care of you. I hope that puts any worries of deceit aside.

Regards,
TBML
Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Hey everyone Well day 1 again here, I had 6 days sober as of yesterday, then had some wine last night while watching a movie. I'm headed to my first AA meeting today because hubby is off and can watch our little ones. Didn't have enough wine to be hungover, but the shame is still here. I haven't gone 6 days sober in a while and I wish I could go longer. Hopefully the meeting is good. I would really like to stick with AA and get a sponsor.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

11 days and keep going! Happy sober Friday everyone!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Wanted to check in here as some of my super cool Classmates from April visit here too.
Keep at it Mayers! The entirety of April was a sober one for me, and I'm plugging away at your sober month as well.
It can be done! It's said so often...but it's true: If I can do this, anyone can.
If anyone is struggling with early sobriety--I just want to tell you that it gets better, the ickyness dissipates to more and more feelings of just being. It's kind of weird to try and find that comfort zone in "normal". I'm neither feeling like shite or drunk. The middle was very uncomfortable for me initially--but it's getting better.
Feelings of badness, and happiness are more intense when not dulled with booze, but it's all ok! The coping mechanisms are slowly coming back, and frankly: when I'm happy, I really FEEL it. It's weird! And awesome!
Keep plugging away May Class. You can do this!
Be well and kind,
Scoutie
Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey Beavis! I've totally had that experience where the hubby gave me a wink wink and an eyebrow wiggle in the morning and i had no recolection of the evening before. I felt so low when i smiled back at him knowingly. Knowingly! I had no idea! Well, it's really great now to be the one that winks and eyebrow wiggles first!

I'm on another irritating bus ride to get to a far off police department to pick up my wallet. We'll see if they left me any cash, bus tickets or my gift card. Ah well, at least i get my drivers license back!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm trying to not cry. I'm at the police district where my wallet is supposed to be. It's not here and it's not in the property room. I was so excited about getting my wallet back and now it's gone again. I just want to sit down and cry in frustration. This is costing me money and a ton of time because i have to take the bus. I just want my wallet back!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Administrator

sometimes it can take a bit of looking DG. Try and be patient
I hope it turns up.

D
Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Administrator

Leshar - I think like others have said it depends on the context.

Best wishes today javamamma - hope this will be the start of a new chapter for you

glad things are getting a little better nowme

have a great weekend everyone

D
Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Hi guys, im on day three here and would like to join. Member of the feb class but have slipped a few times and feel it would help to post amongst people with similar sobriety time.

Ive been pretty much a ten days on, two weeks off kind of drinker and that patterns proving hard to stop, although did manage 25 days in feb/march. The blackouts have become more frequent over the years and they REALLY scare me. I usually start with pints of beer/lager in pubs then stronger lager, then cider, then tins of cider at home then vodka sneaked into anything to make it drinkable. I have hovered around aa in the past and have been to a couple this week. Pretty shy though so do find this site very useful.

Anyway il post more about myself again and il try and read past posts in the thread to get to know you all- DG hope you get your wallet back somehow, ive lost many over the years, so know the feeling your going through.