Notices

New here

Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hello, I'm 34, I'm an alcoholic and a drug addict. I am also struggling with several mental issues, bipolar disorder and borderline. I also suspect I might have adult ADHD but they don't really detect it in my country (I'm from France).

I'm a teacher, which makes things more difficult since I cannot be open about my different issues in the workplace.

I tired to recover from alcohol several times, but never succeeded. I succeded to stop using drugs, though.

I've been sober for 10 days now and I'm planning to stay so.
I don't have a group yet (the place I live is very remote) but my psychiatrist is now informed of my newfound sobriety.

I hope I'll find support and tools to help me in my sober lifestyle here.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR MsHyde I am sure you will find SR really helpful to you. There are also online SMART meetings and there are meetings held in the chatroom here. You'll also come across quite a few teachers here too. You're not alone x
Old 04-30-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot! Online meetings might be very good for me (for the moment the closest meeting I found is more than one hour drive from my place and it's in the middle of the day when I'm working...).

Good (or not?) to know that there are other teachers here.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ms Hyde, you will find a tremendous amount of support here. There are a lot of kind, caring, helpful people here. And people with lots of experience dealing with addiction. This is probably the best group situation I've seen. It's a very positive atmosphere. And good luck to you.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! I just registered on the SMART meetings too. I really like it here for the moment.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're doing the right thing Ms. Hyde...especially with your health issues, drinking and drugging are certainly not helping things.
Good luck, stay focused and be strong.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'll find lots of support here. Visit the different forums on different subjects. Lots of good insight from lots of good people.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Spend time on this site MsHyde, it should help you to stay sober. Everyone is very supportive and understanding. By the way if you're a French native, vous parlez bien l'anglais.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome so SR MsHyde
Old 04-30-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place for support and hope. We understand what you're going through, MsHyde. I'm so glad you found us.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im glad you are ready to admit you need a change. And you will soon realize how truly possible that is, and how many other people want that for you too. Other alcoholics want very much to give that gift to others, as it was given to them so freely!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy I found this place and the online meetings too.

Is there any place where members can locate themselves? I would be happy to check if there are people from France here...
I'm gonna explore now.

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Spend time on this site MsHyde, it should help you to stay sober. Everyone is very supportive and understanding. By the way if you're a French native, vous parlez bien l'anglais.
Actually I'm a Polish native who came to France when she was 6. But yes I spent all my school years here in France and I'm teaching French.

For the moment I'm not thinking it's that difficult, and summer is the best and the worse moment for quitting. I'm trying to get some insight about why I drink etc...

I already went to one concert (And Also the Trees for romantic Goths here) and refusing drinks was quite easy. I'm invited on Friday and I already informed everyone that I was not drinking anymore.
I'm hanging a lot with punk / goth / rock people where drugs and drinking are very common, so all my friends drink. But there is also a straight edge scene so they at least can get the not drinking part. I hop I'll still like them without the drinking but I think so, most of them are not only friends for partying, but also for passionate political and cultural discussions etc...
I'm already the weird vegan one anyway.
I gave up the cheese, I can give up wine too!

Once again thanks a lot for the welcome. I registered on a French forum too but it's not very helpful, everybody has their own journal like thread but people don't really answer.
I think I need the "being part of a community" thing a lot.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. SR ia very active and vibrant. Going sober was a great choice for me, but i had to learn how to do it. It does not come naturally bit is doable.