Notices

Newcomer

Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

Hi there. Well Im new on the site. Been going to AA meetings for about 3 months. But then slipped last week. I know I wasnt getting in enough meetings. Anyway back on track now hopefully. I think Im ready for a sponsor but not sure what to do. Also, not sure about this 'working the steps'thing. Would I be ok not to work the steps whatever it means?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ampsa

I'm not in AA but you get a sponsor specifically to work the steps, so you have some figuring out to do there

There's a lot of AA members here - I'm sure they can help you work through your problems with taking the steps.

welcome

D
Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

AA meetings are the fellowship, the steps are the program of AA. I'm not in AA but I do know that.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person either, but I do know that it takes work to recover and not just going to meetings. I work on my recovery every day.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Ampsa)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, Ampsa! I don't have any AA experience to share, but as Dee said - someone will be along to help you out there. I'm glad you found us.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Ampsa View Post
Hi there. Well Im new on the site. Been going to AA meetings for about 3 months. But then slipped last week. I know I wasnt getting in enough meetings. Anyway back on track now hopefully. I think Im ready for a sponsor but not sure what to do. Also, not sure about this 'working the steps'thing. Would I be ok not to work the steps whatever it means?
Hi Ampsa, welcome to SR.

I guess whether you need to work the steps or not depends upon how far down the alcoholic road you have come. I would suggest studying the first part of the Big Book upto the abc's on page 60. Include the forewords and Doctor's opinion.
Carefully compare what you read with your own experience, making an allowance for the older style of the writing. In those pages is a good description of the alcoholic problem as we see it, and also the nature of AA's spiritual solution is outlined.
If you decide that you are the type of alcoholic described, and are willing to accept spritual help to recover, then, logically, you will want to work the steps.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I have the Big Book, the step book, and the little red book. AA isn't the only program I go to. I also go to SMART and WFS. WFS is more of a fit for me. But I get something out of all of them. I'm just kind of starting to do the steps for AA.

It is important to find a sponsor that has been in the program for awhile and has done the steps. If you do find someone make sure you sit down and talk to them about expectations. What they expect from you and what you expect from them. That way you are both on the same page and there are no surprises later on. There are things a sponsor can do for you and things they can't.