Notices

Introduction-new

Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GSH

Introduction-new

Hi,

I am a 45 year old female who has been fighting with my love of wine for probably around 13 years now. I usually drink about 3 nights a week only because I have to work the other evenings and get home too late to open up a bottle. I can put away one bottle and barely feel it and am now starting to get into the greater part of a second bottle to get a nice buzz.

My husband drinks as well and tends to start on the whisky or vodka around 5 pm. We love to just relax and drink together and talk about our days, though we both know it is not healthy. We are wanting to lose weight and just try to start living a healthier lifestyle.

I am not sure if I want to completely abstain or just set much tighter limits on my consumption.

Thanks,
GSH
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too loved my wine. Loved it too much. I tried to moderate my intake but it never worked. I found it easier to quit altogether. I love my sober life now. I never wake up full of regret and self hatred anymore. If someone granted me a wish to drink moderately I'd say "no thanks, I like my sober life".
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing...SR is a great place
Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GSH

Smile

Thank you both for the swift welcome! The thought of completely going without is a little scary and I don't want to set myself up for failure. I really admire that you can do that and not miss it.

PS-I am also a dog lover and don't know what I would do without my two big trouble makers ;-)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I spent a long time knowing I drank to much and wasted so much time thinking the solution was controlling it, always to fail. But then, I was an alcoholic.

If you have never tried to control it, I guess you can try that first. Much knowledge is to be found in the struggle. If you can't control your consumption, trust me, it's not a matter of not trying hard enough.

As someone wisely told me when I first joined SR, if you have to control it, it's already out of control.

Like Least said, it's just easier to quit...once you have decided that abstaining is the route you need to go.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GSH

Thank you....you have some good points there, Carl. Definitely food for thought. I wish I could just be normal and not even have this as an issue.
I think that I am going to like it here :-)
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TTB

GSH - if it's worth anything I am very similar to you. 46 years old. Drinking wine for about 10 years (beer before that) and am a 2+ bottle person 5-6 days a week. I too started out with much less but it just progressed over time. First in days per week (started with just Friday and Saturday) and then is progressed in quantity. I have tried to stop before...you know...on Sunday night I would say "ok, no more until Friday, then Friday I could celebrate my success". I have been trying this for about 9 months. Hasn't worked yet.

I agree with what Doggonecarl said "if you have to control it, it's out of control".

We are all different but I wanted you to know for me, controlling it hasn't worked. That's why I am here today. Found this site on Friday after a physical with horrible results and just jumped in (well..went out with a bang on Friday and Sat night). Day 2. Carvings are already starting for tonight. Gotta keep busy.

Try stopping for 30 days...if you can't get that far then you know where you are at.

Wish you the best. Sorry for rambling..

TTB