Notices

Slaying the Beast - AVRT for newbies

Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slaying the Beast - AVRT for newbies

Evening folks. I'm pretty new to this but wanted to share what another member told me. They pointed me in the direction of AVRT, a totally different approach than AA. I've found it revelatory and it has given me real hope, much more than I found with AA. Please don't think I'm bashing AA as it clearly works for a lot of people, but AVRT seems to chime more with me. Maybe it's down to different personalities? Anyway, if you're new or haven't heard of AVRT, I'd definitely recommend looking at it. Take care one and all.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I never studied AVRT, but use something probably pretty similar to it. It has worked with me through 11 months. Glad it seems to be working for you.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We appreciate your enthusiasm!

There's other threads discussing AVRT here: Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you've found something that works for you.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

AVRT was around long, long before the term was coined. It is 'the lore of the self-recovered', and is the collected wisdom of past experience from folks who 'just quit'. It does suit some personality types better than others, but I recommend it when I can if I feel that there is a chance the concept of self-empowerment can help.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me tooooo! I started posting on here a few days ago and in my first introduction someone picked up on my inner battle and suggested it. It was like a huge lightbulb moment in my head went PING! That makes total sense to me.

I had shared with my husband a few weeks ago how I had discovered this crazy 'voice' in my head trying anything to convince me to drink....and then realising it was normal and had a name was brilliant.

Big up SR and all the experience sharing.....I'm a big fan :-)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree more toomuch! The line in the crash course that the beast only remembers the good times, never the bad times is so true for me. Somehow when the urge hits you you forget why you don't want to drink, so now I feel armed against this - it's my av talking. Best of luck to us both