Notices

Not giving up

Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
urban chicken

Lightbulb Not giving up

I'm roosta and am an alcoholic. This is my third time coming to SR, and to be honest, I gave up on sobriety really quickly the second time. I am not giving up that easily again!

I have ptsd and am currently being treated for it through talk therapy. Much progress has been made, and I had slowed drinking down to a crawl...only to binge over the weekend.

I woke up yesterday sick, tired, and yet strangely, full of fight. I won't let this disease beat me. No moderation, no just one drink, no period. Sobriety is my goal.

I don't have a plan in place yet. After I get done with this post I'm going to look up the local Women For Sobriety chapter and give them a call. And to stay sober for today. I guess that could be a plan? :-)

Thanks for reading and thanks for being here. I'm in a new town and have no friends. Makes it real easy to grab some beers and hide in my house, but it doesn't have to be that way. Have a happy and sober Monday folks!

roosta
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back, Roosta!

You have a great plan to take it one day at a time and get a support group.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep it up!! You can do it!! Pulling for you!! Get into a local program with other folks aiming for soberty.. Hang in there.. It gets better!!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
urban chicken

Thanks ColdFusion and Dave! I did what I said I was going to do and now am waiting to hear back. This is a step in the right direction since I have always been ashamed of my drinking and found it near impossible to discuss it face to face. There is no shame in seeking help, but there will be if I keep drinking!

roosta
Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome back! I'm recently back too.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A guy told me once... "You're not a bad man, you're sick!" Don't be ashamed, get better!! Educate yourself, find one of the many programs out there and do it! You're making the first step and that's huge!! It can be done.. If I can do it anyone can!!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just cheering you on Roosta. My long history of sobriety has been punctuated with lots of relapse. Just like a plant, sobriety will die if not taken care of.

I am back again and owning every bit of my recovery: going to a lot of AA meetings, working with a sponsor, and handing in those awful court slips at EVERY meeting. I am no longer ashamed of what happens when I drink, but I do feel VERY responsible for the pain I have caused others. Right now I feel very humble and grateful to be back in the safe zone of sobriety.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you are "self-medicating" with alcohol for your PTSD, perhaps talk therapy alone is not enough? Have you discussed with your Dr. some potentially non-habit forming medical therapy for PTSD?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good plan Roosta. Good luck to ya!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to see you again, Roosta. We have to be ready - it sounds like you are. You never have to go back to that uncertain and dangerous place. You can do it.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
urban chicken

Originally Posted by divinespark View Post
If you are "self-medicating" with alcohol for your PTSD, perhaps talk therapy alone is not enough? Have you discussed with your Dr. some potentially non-habit forming medical therapy for PTSD?
Hi divinespark, I did try medication and attempted suicide about a week after starting. I'm wary of medication on that reason alone, plus my doctor is hesitant. The talk therapy has worked very well, I have overcome a couple of triggers. We may try exposure therapy in the future.

Staying sober is the best medicine for me right now. Staying sober will allow the ptsd treatment to work. I saw it working, I just didn't care enough to stop drinking. That life is not for me anymore. :-)

roosta
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're back and giving it another go.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yikes. Good luck to you. Just keep reaching for as much face to face social support as you can get, and keep doing healthy things which will beget doing more healthy things. Keep your chin up.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back Roosta, I am working on getting my plan in place too.