Notices

Puppy

Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Puppy

My boyfriend and I have adopted a puppy who is only a week old. The mother stopped feeding it. So my brother made formula and I've dedicated myself to this puppy. The first night I didn't sleep, I stayed up and made sure he ate every hour. I've had him now for four days he's doing so well. His paws and nose were purple now they're a healthy pink and he has put on weight and is growing. I felt so angry because the owner of the puppy didn't seem to care she brought us the puppy and hasn't even come to see it or asked about it. She's been drunk for days instead. I'm so lucky to be sober at this time, if I wasn't I wouldn't be able to care for this puppy neither, it would have died long ago.
This puppy symbolizes so much for me. It gives me hope, shows me how giving and loving I can be.its teaching me how fragile and precious life is. It's crazy how something so small and unexpected can make me realize so much about myself. It also made me see how my sobriety can have a positive impact on humans or animals. It makes me so happy to know my choice to be sober will keep a life in this world even if it's just a puppy. I feel so proud of myself. I've come so far. I love being sober. It's like magic. Lol
Old 04-29-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sober so that i could care for my dogs properly. When I was drinking their care was hit or miss. Now that I'm sober they get good care and it shows in their eyes and their good health.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's ace Stash. I got a 2 year old dog 3 months ago, she was being sent to the pound by her previous owner. It wasn't something I planned on doing but she has had such a huge impact on my life. Caring for her helps me care for myself in a strange way x
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hay great job , i treat my dog the same way
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Aww. I remember a line from a film, think it was the film '28 Days' with Sandra Bullock. Anyway a drug counseller in the film was giving a speech about relationships. He said 'Buy a house plant, if it's still alive after a year buy a pet. If the pet is still alive after a year then maybe you can think about dating'.

Your post just brought that back into my head lol.

Natom.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I adopted an adult dog (small breed) when i was 3.5 months sober in 2010.
Sammy is a reason to stay sober and enjoy life, his company is so valuable....
I would rather take him for a walk than drink any day of the week....he represents hope and is a happy, well loved member of the family.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yay for you!

I had a similar experience with my Siamese. The breeder told us the kitten was older than it was so he could sell it earlier. We found this out by taking the kitten to the vet because it was doing so poorly. Consequently the kitten nearly died and we had to do round-the-clock care for a few days.

Be very proud of yourself for stepping up and giving life to your new puppy. His love for you will be endless and he will inspire you to stay sober.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

Beautiful post to wake up to, Stash. I couldn't live without my pup ! Good for you!