Notices

Need help with opiate abuse

Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help with opiate abuse

Hello,

I am new to this site and am seeking people to talk to that may related to the addiction that I am going through. I have been abusing opiates for about 4 years now and I need help. I have no insurance and feel that I need to enter a rehab. Does anyone know if there is some kind of financial assistance for people like me? Also, any stories or encouragement to get off of these killers would be helpful. I am so dependent on them and it is starting to affect my finances.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ShiningStr

I'm not an American so I'm not too sure what is available. I know the Salvation Army run free rehab services in many parts of the US.

The Salvation Army Family Stores: Rehabilitation Program

here's a phone contact that might be able to help you find what you need too

The National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service available at 1-800-662-HELP. This service can provide you with information about treatment programs in your local community and allow you to speak with someone about alcohol problems
D
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marcher

Smile Do it!

Hey, Shiningstr,
I too was addicted to opiates for 7 years. It affected every aspect of my life. Now I have been sober for 45 days and I feel fantastic, most of the time. It was so worth it to quit. I quit the pills and the whole life I lived around them and I'll tell you, it was so freeing, like getting out of a self-inflicted prison. Do it! Quit the opiates! Come here often and read, then post, it's like therapy for me. Great people are here to support you and encourage you. It's up to you to free yourself, sounds like you want it. Don't overthink it, just start one day at a time.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well said Joygirl...I was hooked on those dam pills too for years.
As you said, a self inflicted prison...I made a conscious decision to quit about a year ago cold turkey...and I don't miss them one bit.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Did you quit cold turkey on your own? I did call my doctor today to get some help but I have no insurance to go into a rehab program so I am on day 2 and let me tell you I feel awful. I just want to stay in bed and sleep but I have a job that I must go to everyday. I want to feel better and want all this pain and depression to go away.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, on my own...it was not fun and I don't reccommend this method, but I had to end my self induced zombie coma.
I know what you are feeling and sympathize... but you will feel better soon.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will be difficult, for sure, but you can get through this. Calling your dr was a good start and please know you will always find support here.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marcher

shiningstr,
I started out on my own, then went to dr for help with blood pressure. Honestly, it is pretty bad for a few days, then gets better. After the physical wd settled down, I started coming here for emotional support/mental health. What a huge difference it makes to know you are not alone. I have read many, many posts and find myself in the majority of them. No one is an expert, yet everyone seems genuinely concerned for each other.
If you don't feel like posting, just keep reading on here. Read stories of recovery and you will find something helpful.
You Can Do it!!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your encouragement. I have to keep staying strong but its so hard to sit here and not be high. I somehow have to get the cravings to go away. I think this will be the hardest part for me. I feel like its what I need to get through life but deep down I know that is not the answer. Has anyone done any kind of meetings? I may need to talk to someone too.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marcher

Ss, ok, I know how hard it is. Distract yourself, something that uses mind and hands. Crosswords, videogames, play an instrument? Put on some music or a movie. Go for a walk or run. It will pass soon and get better. Focus on restoring your brain function and body health. Of course you can function without drugs, and better than you realize right now! You will feel fantastic after a while- remind yourself of that!
You may benefit from meetings. I didn't go because there are none where I live. Keep reading and posting. Lots of good stuff around here and amazing people just like YOU!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im so glad i can talk to someone..it sure does help. Thank you. I also feel really depressed
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey shiningstr, I'm really glad you are finding that a life led by craving and intoxication is not the best life you can have I saw that you mentioned meetings up above. Really, I recommend that route. It's what works for me. Going around people who are in the same spot I am, being able to relate to others in a way that is rarely possible is truly a blessing. If I were in your shoes, I would google NA or AA meetings in your area and go check one out. If nothing else, you might find someone there who has gone through a rehab, detox, or treatment facility in your area that could give you some much needed information.

Welcome to the second day of this journey!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marcher

Depression is normal. It doesn't last forever, but talk to Dr about that. There are non addicting meds for that. Your brain chem is readjusting. Takes some time.
You are going to make it through this! You are giving yourself a future.
Those darn pills will make you feel worse and you know it. You know it.
Oh, something else, write down pros/cons of drug use. Include feelings and consequences. Use that list to remind yourself why you are doing this.
And keep posting. You are helping me, too!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes i think you are right. I cant do this alone. Im glad for now i have u guys on here to help me. I def helps. I felt really sick yesterday but for some reason not as bad today but i wonder if it gets worse...and i havent told anyone yet what im goin thru cause im scared i want to tell my boyfriend but dont want him mad cause he thinks i stopped awhile ago. And my mom who i am very close to just found out she has breast cancer so i dont want her to worry
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A journal is a great idea..thank u joy..why do u think i feel ok today?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not feeling well today...im at work but struggling....I did make a doctors appt to see what she can do to help me get thru this....wish me luck!