SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   First post (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/292991-first-post.html)

berdie 04-28-2013 04:49 PM

First post

Hello all! I've been reading the forums for a few months now, under the cloak of internet anonymity. I thought I would become a member today and introduce myself. Hi, I'm Berdie.

I've been binge drinking for the past 13 years. I never drink at home or by myself. I never crave alcohol. I've never sneaked alcohol. But boy, when I drink...I DRINK. Friends say I just like to have fun, but I know now that I am an alcoholic.

Increasingly I've found myself blacking out, but appearing completely normal to others. Over the years, I've embarrassed myself, put myself in incredibly dangerous situations, overspent my money, acted out of character and hurt those closest to me. After a lengthy 8 hour blackout two weeks ago, I decided that it wasn't tolerable anymore. My luck WILL run out if I continue to drink, because once I start, I cannot control myself. I WILL find myself in jail, hurt or dead if I continue drinking.

So I've been reading other members' stories, and they've been very helpful in seeing that I'm not alone, so THANK YOU! I know it will be hard, but I'm committed to being sober. I feel lucky to be where I am now.

-Berdie
13 days sober :)

Dee74 04-28-2013 04:50 PM

Welcome to the posting side of things Berdie :)

D

cutie 04-28-2013 04:53 PM

Congrats!! You've taken the first step!! Welcome

Hevyn 04-28-2013 04:55 PM

Welcome Berdie! It's great to have you join us.

It's good that you've come to this conclusion. I was once a binge drinker, too. Over the years I found myself drinking more often, and finally I was completely dependent on it. I never thought it could happen to me. Glad you are taking this important step to get free of it.

Bruce292 04-28-2013 06:05 PM

Hi Berdie. Thank you for being here! This forum has really helped. I didn't think it would at first but It has.

bigsombrero 04-28-2013 06:15 PM

Welcome!

atj9699 04-28-2013 07:11 PM

Welcome! I was like you...lurking but not posting. I finally joined a few days ago and the form members are great! Good luck and take it one day at a time-you can do it!:welcome

berdie 04-28-2013 07:12 PM

thanks to you all! it's great to be here!

Elly40 04-28-2013 07:23 PM

Welcome berdie :)

least 04-29-2013 01:19 AM

:welcome to sober living.:) It can be rough at first but don't give up - it gets better.:)

MidnightBlue 04-29-2013 01:32 AM

Welcome to SR, Berdie!

And congrats on 13 days sober! You've survived thought first week - great job!

It's' a great place to find support, understanding and useful information.

Take care and keep posting)

tootsl1 04-29-2013 01:43 AM

Welcome Berdie. Admitting to yourself that you have a problem is the hardest part, posting here first time takes courage, but after that, hey, you suddenly have a new family that not only totally get you, but will support your every effort to stay sober. Well done for finding us and good fortune on your new path.

animalnurse9 04-29-2013 02:06 AM

Hi berdie, welcome :)

GracieLou 04-29-2013 02:32 AM

Welcome berdie!

Sasha4 04-29-2013 03:37 AM

Hi Berdie

Welcome to our family.
Its nice having you here with us.

My best
x