Notices

Long time coming

Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long time coming

Hello everyone. I am Gary. I am new to this forum site. I am heading towards two months sobriety. My history up to today:
I have had two DUIs
Lost friends due to my addiction
Been to the ER twice with injuries
Lost my nursing license due to the DUIs
Financial ruin

And on and on. Today, into my sobriety I am trying to put my life back together and it's hard. Most days I feel like things are slowly coming together and other days I feel like I want to give up. Trying to keep my mind on the half full glass but it wonders to the half empty. So, I am here to tell my story and hear how other people are able to put their lives back together and maybe get some pointers on how to help get through tougher days.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Gary And well done on 2 months! What have you used to help you so far? x
Old 04-28-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ((Gary))! My list is similar, though I had a different DOC (Drug of choice) - including loss of nursing career and financial ruin.

Over 6 years into recovery (in large part thanks to everyone here!), life isn't a bed of roses every day, but it is SOOOOO much better!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-28-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Gary! I also have a similar list. I'm glad you haven't let guilt and remorse keep you from getting those 2 months sober behind you. Well done! It's so good when we finally realize there's nothing to be gained by getting numb.

I think you'll find a lot of encouragement and hope here. I'm sure others will benefit from your story, too. I felt all alone until I found SR - it's a great place to be.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To keep busy with school and gardening. My family has been fabulous through this whole time. Never giving up the idea that one day I would be sober. Cooking has a big part to play in my sobriety. It's a very big passion. Everything changed after my second DUI. I realized had I not changed I was going to be dead or in prison. How have you helped keep yourselves sober?

I have to agree with the feeling alone. I don't want to be a bother to the family or friends I have left in my life. Good job for being sober. Day one is a big step but to have months or years behind you then bravo.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I am also unemployed, and have found that AA meetings are helpful in re-integrating into the community.

Last edited by Coldfusion; 04-29-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: posted wrong thing