SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello everyone... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/292886-hello-everyone.html)

crispycritter 04-27-2013 05:49 PM

Hello everyone...

Hi, I am here to find the willpower to stop drinking so I can save my marriage. I am not a people person so going to meetings is not for me so that is why I am here. I need to stop for my own health and for my wifes sanity. I hope I can find some help here. Thanks for listening.

Impurrfect 04-27-2013 06:04 PM

Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

gmanriley 04-27-2013 06:05 PM

Hello and welcome

Anna 04-27-2013 06:07 PM

Welcome, we do understand.

RevivingOphelia 04-27-2013 06:14 PM

I found lots of help here!

Welcome!

Opivotal 04-27-2013 06:19 PM

Welcome crispycritter! So glad you found us. I think you'll like it. :)

:welcome

LadyinBC 04-27-2013 06:20 PM

Hi Crispy! This is a great site. You will get lots of support here. Keep posting and reading.

Hevyn 04-27-2013 06:27 PM

Welcome to the family crispy. :)

I know it's a brave step - reaching out like this - but you won't regret it. There are some wonderful people here who want to help. I drank all my life and never thought I'd live without it. I found the courage to change by coming here and telling my story and listening to the suggestions. It was truly life changing to be able to come here for help. I hope you'll feel the same. You can do this, crispy.

hypochondriac 04-28-2013 02:22 AM

Welcome to SR crispycritter :)

I think you'll find a lot of support here. There are lots of alternatives to meeting based recovery (Things like AVRT and the Allen Carr book) and also there are online meetings you could try and loads of reading suggestions. I found posting here and getting feedback the most useful thing I have done really and I wouldn't be sober without it. Can you tell us a bit about your story? Glad you're here x

GracieLou 04-28-2013 02:34 AM

Hi crispycritter and welcome.

crispycritter 04-28-2013 08:56 AM

Last night after my first post I spent a while reading others posts and comments. It's pretty cool to know others are dealing with similar issues as I am. Makes me feel less alone than I was before. I used to drink beer all day long at home, alone while working on the yard, or home improvement projects, you name it.. I'd finish up, finish my last beer then cook dinner. When my wife got home I would be fine, but not now. Every time I do that I end up wasted? I'm not sure if I'm just too old (42 next month) or if it's the medications I'm taking now? The amount of beer is the same, 8-10 over eight hours. It feels like I had a case of beer instead. So of course my wife is livid coming home to a man slurring and stumbling around. So it's time to just cut it all out and stop drinking all together since that's what my wife wants me to do. I have promised a few times to stop since this all began but after a couple weeks I end up at the store on my day off to buy beer and do it all over again.. That's where I can relate to the stories of little voices telling me it is ok and everything will be fine this time....

scottw991 04-28-2013 09:24 AM

Welcome. I hope you find your own sanity too through recovery :)

hypochondriac 04-28-2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by crispycritter (Post 3940402)
It's pretty cool to know others are dealing with similar issues as I am. Makes me feel less alone than I was before.

I love it when I read things like this because it reminds me of how I felt when I came here. It was such a weight off after just dealing with this on my own. Just telling someone made it better.

I can understand what you mean about it suddenly effecting you like it didn't before. I used to drink a lot all the time and although I was concerned just because of the sheer amount, I didn't suffer and negative consequences, hell I didn't even get hangovers (turns out that isn't a good thing). But in my late 20's I started getting panic attacks out of nowhere and loads of health concerns. I was drinking the same as ever but the side effects were worse. Really it was the accumulation of all those years of drinking. They will eventually catch up with us.

Do you think you want to quit or do you think this is something you are mainly just considering for your wife. I know I wanted to quit but didn't feel I could, until I got support.

Whatever you do you will find lots of information and support here :)

crispycritter 04-29-2013 05:38 PM

I do want to stop drinking, completely. I am not doing this for my wife, I am doing it because my wife finally got through to me, woke my ass up from the blurry mess I've been living for the past two years. Today I worked on two of the cars, some home repairs, took my dog to the vet, did some shopping, and made a wonderful dinner for my wife and I for when she got home from work. I did all that with a sprained ankle and twisted knee that was making it very difficult to even walk this morning. Normally I would go get some beer to ease the pain and give me a boost to do all my work. But today I did not give in and everything went just fine, actually better than fine all without a single beer! But that was just today, what about tomorrow, and the next day? Coming here every day helps to remind me why I quit... Without it I'm afraid I will forget about all the bad things and end up at the convenient store buying those great big cans of delicious poison...lol.. Amen!

I apologize if what I write or if my posts are odd or if I am doing anything that is not considered proper.... This is the first time in over ten years I have written anything or posted something in a forum like this.. I'm not really sure about how all the different stuff works on the site, but I am trying to learn, so please let me know if I am doing something dumb. I would appreciate the input.. Thanks

gmanriley 04-29-2013 05:45 PM

Don't apologize CC,
say whatever you feel...nobody here will judge you.
Congrats on making a wise decision to better your life.
We are all on separate but similar boats...and SR is our communal river.
Good luck and be strong.

GracieLou 04-30-2013 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by crispycritter (Post 3942776)
give me a boost to do all my work.

I used to do this too.

Grab a drink and start the chores. Most of the time I never got even half of them done because as the day went on I got lazier and lazier. I would talk myself into the fact that I worked hard all week and I deserved a rest which turned into watching TV and drinking.

Bruce292 04-30-2013 04:33 AM

Please don't apologize. I've said some very obtuse things in this forum. My brain hasn't bounced back from the abuse it suffered and sometimes thoughts can sound a little foreign. I'm glad you're here and I'm glad you're posting. It helps me to read what you've written. Thank you!