Notices

day 6

Old 04-27-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 6

I was driving home after a beautiful day on the bike trail when I caught myself cursing and angered over another drivers sub par driving skills.
I had been so at peace outdoors in nature just minutes earlier, how could my mood be so transformed so quickly?
I went from being Johnny Appleseed to Jack the ripper in seconds.
Can anyone relate?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, I can relate. Early sobriety can be a bit like a rollercoaster ride.

(that's quite the visual...johnny appleseed to jack the ripper,lol)
Old 04-27-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I had an old sponsor once and his stock answer to anything like that - someone pushing in front of him, maniac driver, passing serial killer - was "Ach don't let it bother you - they're spiritually sick."

It worked for him so well - just one of the calmest people you'll ever meet. Personally, I'm still prone to raising the middle finger on occasions.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

I feel like this whenever I'm within my first week of sobriety -- usually the first 2-3 days. I so badly don't want my peace disturbed. I'm so on edge, that even when I'm feeling a moment's peace or joy, I have to be gentle with myself and realize it will be fleeting and temporal until I've spent more time sober. We're not rock solid, and we have to realize that. We're vulnerable and edgy. Just have to be patient with ourselves. Moods are tricky when you're making any kind of lifestyle change.

I am so glad to hear someone is on day 6! Keep going! I'm on day 2, and today was just awful. I'm hopeful, though. Take care!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. Any little thing would make me angry and I used it as an excuse to get a 12 pack. Bad drivers, barking dogs, mean coworkers, bad weather, bad news, relatives, crowded grocery stores, Monday (Tuesday-Sunday for that matter), the cold, the heat, the you name it. In a second I'd go from OK to furious.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Restorative, be strong.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Recovery Rollercoaster!

I was actually just having this conversation with my sponsor this morning. & Don't understand why Im still like that at over 100 days sober. She reminded me that it has been so long since I have allowed my self to actually FEEL anything that wasn't clouded by alcohol.
I guess I will just repeat to you what she told me "This will pass, and Feelings are not Facts"
So we will have to keep strong & be proud of yourselves for feeling these things & dealing with them sober.
Stay Strong!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You have never drove in Korea! ha! I get road rage all the time. It's the only time I ever get to swear like a sailor!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The first weeks are a roller coster of unnatural highs, and lows, as said. I find that I get less angry with the drivers as time goes by. Still trying to get a good 10 days in the last few months. Several times this week, when I would have sped up or become angry or blasted the horn, I just let the person do whatever stupid thing they were doing and shook my head, "moron." It is really really hard to 'become a duck.' As in to let other peoples toxins roll off you and not to take their junk as a personal affront. Whatever anyone else is thinking, even about you, almost never has anything to with you. But our egos are so big, it must be about us!! And we must be outraged. So wrong.