Notices

where do I fit in??

Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

where do I fit in??

okaaaaayy so I've never posted on a forum in my life, and feel a bit strange posting on a forum about alcholism because I still havent quite worked out how me and the word 'alcoholic' go together, if at all.

what I do know is I quit drinking alcohol on the 1st of jan 2013 with the point blank determination that it would be forever. since then its been a journey of discovery and every day brings new realisations.

I googled a fair bit trying to find answers and kept coming across posts on this forum from people who sounded a bit like me, going through similar things to me, so thought I'd try and reach out.

I have no idea where to go from here but hey like everything, its worth giving it a go.

is there anyone out there? :-)
Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is a perfect place to start.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! Congrats on your smart decision! I quit alcohol at the end of January, and it's the best thing I've ever done. I feel so much better, and am getting back into shape again. My friends can't quite wrap their brains around the fact that I've quit forever, but I don't care. That's their problem, I'm done with the stuff for good.

As you've seen, this is a great place for support and feedback from so many in very similar circumstances.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We're here! So how do you feel about sobriety so far - you say it's been a learning experience and full of twists and turns. I agree! Sobriety for me (10 months in) has been one helluva roller coaster ride. I totally understand your feeling of being lost, I felt the same way. Could not believe the day I checked into rehab, it was like I was watching someone else do it. Crazy.

So have you been sober almost 5 months then? You said you were determined to quit - what have been your biggest challenges? What kind of support do you use to keep it going?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Maybe try a list where you connect use with negative/unexpected outcomes? It worked for me to break down some denial issues. Something happened that made you decide to abstain? (Just a wild guess) There are some great threads here regarding some of our comic/tragic experiences that I very much relate to that may be worth searching for.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello. Welcome to SR. You will find a great amount of support here with people that are doing the same thing, trying to remain or are remaining sober. Congrats on your sober time! That is really an accomplishment that you should be proud of. Start posting on other peoples threads with encouragement or experience or both. Its great to meet you!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome

I was exactly like you, questioned a lot if I was an alcoholic, a binge drinker, alcohol abuser. All the while I kept drinking.

I finally came to a level of personal understanding for me.
Alcohol makes me very unhappy and sometimes it makes people around me who I love unhappy too.

That was enough to seriously examine my drinking.

I have 435 days drink free.

SR is my major source of support.
I come here multiple times a day.
I get home sick if I don't visit my friends here!
Mentally I feel the best I have ever done in years.

There are a lot of lies about alcohol that exist. There can be a lot of pressure to drink from others.

Honestly? Giving up drinking is the best choice I made.

My best to you
x
Old 04-27-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow! feels quite overwhelming getting responses and like a rush of emotion being able to talk about what I'm going through.

its so weird trying to open up about it all I go through a rush of omg they all understand I want to get it all off my chest to freaking out about sharing stuff.

Elegantly wasted I am sure you're right about denial issues I find that I have two sides of my head - the one that knows alcohol was so bad for me and I had to stop and the other that says 'what are you going on about, you don't need to stop' and there is a part of me that feels so ashamed to accept that I have to stop it actually makes my head hurt.

It so hard to try and actually write down which is why I guess these forums are so helpful.

I hope that makes some sense...sorry I thought I would be able to explain myself better!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Totally understand. Many of us refer to it as the Addictive Voice (AV) vs. ME, or in this case YOU.

Being of two minds.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think a read of Addictive Voice Recognition Technique might help you and gain better understanding of those thoughts.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. your advice is amazing and everyone on this forum is so normal....and like me :-)
I actually feel a bit dizzy from opening up like this for the first time but really appreciate all the responses, thank you :-)
am going to sign out now to get some thinking done as it feels like this was a big step xxx
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR toomuch. I think you're going to be glad you signed on.

I felt all alone until I came here. No one in my life understood what I was going through & it was impossible to explain to people who drank normally. To know there were others with my same thoughts and feelings really meant the world - and it strengthened me. I was able to give up a lifelong habit and have a whole new beginning. Congratulations on making the decision to come here.