SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Red red wine (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/292809-red-red-wine.html)

rainyengland 04-26-2013 11:07 PM

Red red wine

Happy Saturday :-)

Well,my wife was out last night doing the big shop after payday-got back at 11pm and I promptly help to unload the car

I place the bags on side - poking up from one bag is two bottles of red wine....

I look at them..shrug... And go back to car to get rest of shopping..grab a glass of milk,finish watching my film ( Salvation boulevard - good film and apt title at present!!)

Then I go to bed .. Progress one thinks!

Have a great day everyone ! :-) :-)

Veritas1 04-26-2013 11:12 PM

Oh, when I think of all that red wine in my stomach, how sick it would make me and I would drink it thinking it was good.

How insane!

Glad to hear you were not attracted to drinking it!

You'll feel much better with the milk!

Congrats! Sounds like progress indeed!

:c011:

rainyengland 04-26-2013 11:14 PM

Insane indeed !..the taste in the morning..yuk

I can't get enough milk..i may have a problem...;-)

SnwFlower 04-26-2013 11:45 PM

That is awesome!! :c014:
I'm that way about coconut water, I love the stuff! The thought of wine or any alcochol now seems nasty to me.

Veritas1 04-26-2013 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by rainyengland (Post 3938494)
Insane indeed !..the taste in the morning..yuk

I can't get enough milk..i may have a problem...;-)

Sounds good to me! Need some Hershey's chocolate syrup!

I never tried coconut water! That's a new idea.

I mostly drink coffee, tea, water, and juices.

Today was jasmine green tea with honey.

MidnightBlue 04-27-2013 12:33 AM

I can totally relate to you Rainy and Veritas.

The mere thought about taste of wine makes me sick.

Have a good day, all!

sandgirl 04-27-2013 01:24 AM

Camomile and honey tea is amzing stuff and really helps me :-)

MythOfSisyphus 04-27-2013 01:35 AM

Ah, red wine! That's the closest thing I have to a weakness. Over my drinking career I drank almost everything. I stared out on wine coolers and shnapps, progressed to beer and mixed drinks, then got older and became a beer snob, then dabbled in single malt scotches before becoming a full on wine drinker. I liked nearly all the varietals except the very sweet wines. But my favorites were the reds, particularly Cabs.

I don't really miss drinking to any great extent. Like most of the rest of you folks here, if I could get smashed with no consequences I would! But I can't, so I don't. Still, a whiff of a nice Cab still makes me salivate a bit. A few days ago my brother came over to help me do some work on my PC. I'm pretty tech savvy but I was having some issues beyond my expertise; my brother has a couple of tech degrees so he usually helps me with advanced stuff. I bought him a very nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon for helping me, and he had a glass when we were done. Oh, the heavenly aroma of that wine!:c021: No, I didn't drink any and didn't come close, but that's the first time in a long time I sort of let my senses linger over it!

DarkDays 04-27-2013 01:45 AM

Used to smell the wine glass in the morning after a session the night before, repugnant horrid smell, thats the real smell of poison . Thank god I am done with that BS.

Notmyrealname 04-27-2013 09:01 AM

Hopefully it is for cooking coq au vin and all will be well :)

joygirl 04-27-2013 09:16 AM

Rainy, You just shrugged at the wine! Even though alcohol is not my thing, if my husband came home with a bottle of pain pills, I don't know if I could just shrug at them. I'm not there yet. Luckily, we just can't go to the store for them, so it's not as accessible to me. If he got them he would have to do it without my knowledge at this point.
You are amazing!

HML 04-27-2013 09:30 AM

As someone on Day 6 and living thru my first sober weekend in God knows when, I am so thankful to read these posts about the smell or thought of wine being completely negative! My husband drank a nice Cab last night, and when I walked by I caught a whiff and had to beat my AV 2 fists. Ate 2 bowls of ice cream instead. Better chubby than drunk at this point!

rainyengland 04-27-2013 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname (Post 3938959)
Hopefully it is for cooking coq au vin and all will be well :)

Yep - even the look of that bottle and the smell I can imagine turns my stomach

That's a interesting point regarding wine in food!..where do we stand on this?

I guess it's ok as we're not having a glass to our lips on a mission to make sure we get through bottle and then open the other bottle just to have one glass out of it ..yeah right - like that ever worked!

MythOfSisyphus 04-30-2013 03:04 AM

I do still occasionally buy wine for recipes. If I do I make sure to purchase just enough for what I'm cooking, no more. If there's any left over that I know I won't use soon in another dish it goes down the drain. No little taste, etc. Down the drain!

For the most part, cooking the wine drives most all of the alcohol out. Not all, but enough that I can't detect any nor feel any effect. Something like Coq au Vin or bœuf bourguignon just wouldn't be possible without wine and are too tasty to never make again!