?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

?

How do you combat the boredom?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

For me, I watch more movies now, and work out more. Go running, ride my bike, write, do projects, clean etc. My goal now is to get to all the things/goals that I used to say I didn't have time to do.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey gman

when I was drinking my fun came in a bottle...it took me a while to work out how to fill my day without it because I found myself still doing the same things I used to do when drinking...pretty much nothing.

Think of your interests and hobbies or something you'd like to try, join a club, get involved in sports, do some home renovation...I enjoyed community volunteering.

anything really. The only limit is your imagination

D
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

It takes a while to enjoy doing things sober that you used to like to do drunk. For me, I never thought I'd enjoy playing in the yard and sitting around camp fires sober (though to be honest I really miss camp fires and drinking). I do enjoy those things now though. Then there are things you may never enjoy sober, so you will need to find new things. The list of things to do sober is endless, and is a matter of preference.

Exercise, movies, reading...playing with pets are a few that come to mind. Life is full of so many things to do, why tie it all to just doing things drunk?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've heard that song a million times but never really got that message, thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Are you still not getting the message? Or are you starting to see a different way? I mean that sincerely.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The part about my body's aching and my time is at hand..I won't make it any other way.
If I continue drinking like I've been, I won't make it.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Oh....gotcha. I thought you meant, song, as in same old song and dance, as in, you've heard what everyone's been saying before a million times...so I totally misunderstood you.

Yeah, I went through a really traumatic event a while ago and that song spoke to me. Glad it meant something to you too.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sorry to hear that...my trauma is self induced.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I been there too. Many times. Just realize there's a different way, and we are here for you if you decide to go down that path. Well...we'll be here for ya either way, but were glad to direct you towards the other path.

What is it that keeps you from sobriety?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The million dollar question...boredom? stress relief? chance to mingle?
All I know is I'm sick of feeling like crap.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I hear ya, and know its not easy. I hope you can find what it is you need to help you make the decision to end that misery. You can do it if you decide to.

Man, I could remember, before I quit, I was getting so depressed. I was so depressed I actually hurt. Felt this dread at times wash over me, made it hard to breathe.

I'm going to paste something below. This was one of the things that resonated with me so much that I had to save it. It was a post I read, right here on SR, posted by BackToSquareOne, and the link to the Thread is provided:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-tomorrow.html

Let me take a wild shot in the dark here. When you drink you get sort of a warm glow, you're totally at peace, your mind seems to expand, your brain can wander off into all kind of fantasies, your inhibitions vanish and all things seem possible. When you wake up the next day all of that seems to vanish, the warm glow is replaced with a sense of impending doom. Noises seem louder, you have a constant subliminal anxiety, you're restless, irritable, something is direly wrong with the world. You can't get comfortable, can't focus, you're now a depressed anxious mess. That's the merry-go-round that you get on with alcohol. You buy the ticket, you take the ride.

____

I hope it means something to you too.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is exactly what happens, and waking up the next day has been hellish...
and then I'm a zombie for a couple days.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I feel quite lucky with regards to the boredom issue because for the last 4-5 years of drinking I didn't do anything when I drank, except sit in a chair, or in a bed and lapse in and out of consciousness. The most exciting thing I would do would be to locate my clothes, before another terrifying trip out to the store for more booze!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I attend AA meetings regularly and work with the newcomers.

I have a house and a family and keeping things ship-shape. I'm seldom bored .... if I get bored it's 'cause I'm not grateful or humble.

All the best.

Bob R