SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sorry, please help (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/292523-sorry-please-help.html)

Missinglife 04-24-2013 12:24 PM

Sorry, please help

I have posted a lot today, sorry to take peoples time... Again only day one, feeling like crap... I leave work in about an hour, all I can think about is getting a DRINK after work... I don't want to, scared as all hetch that I will... I have no one to help me after work.... Please help... Is it wrong if I have just one?? I know that usually leads to another... I just don't know if I can do this...

Omnom 04-24-2013 12:27 PM

Why dont you go get a coffee or a lemonade instead.. something that will quench your thirst.
I would love to have a drink too but Im trying not to drink that much while im battleing my crack cocaine habit.. Its so sunny and nice out a ice cold beer DOES sound good but try something else instead just once. you may even like it :)

AnvilheadII 04-24-2013 12:32 PM

how about JUST FOR TODAY I WILL NOT DRINK NO MATTER WHAT. you can do anything you want tomorrow, but on THIS day Weds April 24th you will not under any circumstances.

play the tape all the way thru....ALL the way. one is never enough. you just shared in another post that after drinking AGAIN yesterday, you couldn't even keep food down. WHY would you even consider doing that to yourself again, 24 hours later?

you are just as strong as you choose to be about this.

ScottFromWI 04-24-2013 12:36 PM

Try and remember what you are trying to accomplish here Missing. Do you want to have tomorrow end up being just like this morning again? I think you already know the answer to the question about having "just one"....but only you can truly answer that.

Try something different - take a different route home. Rent a movie, go for a walk, stop at a guitar store, just anything to keep your mind off picking up that first one. Because you know what will happen if you do.

Missinglife 04-24-2013 12:45 PM

not sure why, feel so crappy.... I will try my best, thanks for the support.....

neferkamichael 04-24-2013 12:49 PM

If you're looking to quit permanently, yes. 1 drink would be wrong. Yea, buy a cup of coffee instead. When you get home, post again let us know either way. We all are rootin for ya, you can do it. :egypt:

shauninspain 04-24-2013 12:51 PM

One would surely lead to another, and tomorrow morning you'll be absolutely devastated that you did not resist the desire. Therefore, grit your teeth and think of tomorrow morning when you will wake up feeling like a million dollars for not giving in to temptation. It's just a craving. It has no weight, no colour, no substance, no real strength, no face, it is a phantom and no chance of surviving if you see it for what it is.

Your addictions dying pains. Let the scum die.

ScottFromWI 04-24-2013 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Missinglife (Post 3934082)
not sure why, feel so crappy.... I will try my best, thanks for the support.....

You feel crappy because your body is expecting you to give it alcohol, and it's having a hard time adjusting. It will take time for that to change - and it will be hard, but it will definitely be worth it. You've already made it through one of the worst days...don't quit now!

Dib42 04-24-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Missinglife (Post 3934049)
I have posted a lot today, sorry to take peoples time... ...

No need to apologize, I enjoy reading the posts. Also we've all been there and needed a little extra support, and many of us will be there again. And this is a place for it.

least 04-24-2013 12:56 PM

No, not even one. You know how that goes and it ain't pretty.:( Do whatever it takes to get thru day two, then day three, and so on, one day at a time. Before you know it you'll be feeling better again.:)

terribob 04-24-2013 01:05 PM

I don't know about you, but I know myself and just one never happens. Go somewhere populated and people watch...anything to keep your mind off from it. You can do it.

tomsteve 04-24-2013 01:14 PM

good time to think that one drink through. have you been able to do it before and stop at one with absolutely no problem?
please stop and get a cup of coffee!!
but not somewhere that serves alcohol1

ClearLight 04-24-2013 01:17 PM

Be sober TODAY.
Tomorrow is tomorrow - worry about tomorrow when it becomes today. At least that's what works for me.
Get yourself home sober.
You'll be glad you did!

Dave42001 04-24-2013 01:24 PM

Don't pick up the drink when you get home.. Go for a good walk instead!! Stop the insanity!! Good luck, you can do this!!

Dee74 04-24-2013 01:51 PM

Noone ever takes up too much time here asking for help missinglife :)

I dunno about you but one drink did always damage me - it's not for nothing they say it's the first drink that does the damage....it sets that runaway train in motion.

It also reinforces the idea that the only solution we have is to drink.

Thats just not true - & you'll never know what other healthier ways you can deal with life if you never look for them and try them :)

I'm not sure what 'feeling like crap' means here - this is the first post I've seen by you today - but try and think of other ways to get through it.

Tomorrow, you'll be glad you did :)

D

Sasha4 04-24-2013 03:06 PM

I always used to say, in moments like this, if I still feel this bad tomorrow, then I will have a drink. But today, I am go into be sober. When tomorrow came, nothing was ever that bad that it merited having a drink.

The more days I got under my belt, the less I used or thought of drink as a coping strategy tot.
So the longer you go, the feeling will become less.

Just hang out here after work.
Post away, read, and never feel you are taking up too much time. It's simply not true.

My best to you x

Quinne 04-24-2013 03:10 PM

I haven't tried this myself, but i've heard a couple of other AA members say that they had chocolate flavoured milk within reach during their early days-they said whenever a craving hit, they'd drink a carton and after having done so, alcohol was the furthest thing from their mind. Might help! Keep posting, too-that's what we're all here for :)

Xx

Mountainmanbob 04-24-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Missinglife (Post 3934049)
Is it wrong if I have just one?? I know that usually leads to another... I just don't know if I can do this...

maybe you might wish to go to an AA meeting
hearing some of the stories there might give you the desire

to stay sober today

many of the stories that I hear there remind me of me

onehigherpower

Zencat 04-24-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Missinglife
I just don't know if I can do this

I thought that was true for me as well. I was so wrong! Something as simple as being grateful for a new life beyond the influence of alcohol can keep people like myself sober.