SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   please help, i stopped losing weight (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/292466-please-help-i-stopped-losing-weight.html)

Jane01177 04-24-2013 02:40 AM

please help, i stopped losing weight

6 weeks ago i had 2 and half bottles of wine on empty stomach, and started having really bad acid reflux, irritated stomach lining, very little appetite and poor digestion. After 4 weeks digestion and appetite got back to normal. However, my fat burning metabolism seems like stopped and I'm really worried, because its been 6 weeks since i had alcohol and I stopped losing weight :(
Is that possible for body stop burning fat permanently ? I normally lose very easily but now it seems like no matter how healthily I eat I am not losing anything, just like stuck there, not gaining not losing :( and my digestion is still super fast and normal, yet not losing weight like I used to, please help, what should I do ? (p.s. I am 22 years old)

Dee74 04-24-2013 02:43 AM

Hi Jane

If you're worried the very best thing to do is see your Dr :)

There's all kinds of reasons why someones weight might plateau - too many for anyone here to adequately guess whats going on :)

D

Jane01177 04-24-2013 03:03 AM

Thank you for the reply Dee,
I got checked with doctor, blood tests came back normal, and they think I don't have any problems as I am maintaining a normal weight, but I know it is NOT normal because I have stopped losing weight like I used to, or could that be the body is trying to heal itself or sth, and I'm still kind of bloated and get acid reflux occasionally. I'm so worried that I might never be able to lose weight again. Does fat burning metabolism get back to normal ? Or can one occasion of heavy drinking can ruin fat burning metabolism permanently ?

MidnightBlue 04-24-2013 03:32 AM

Hi, Jane.

Don't worry, if you don't have any health problem you'll get back to normal. It's unlikely that drinking will ruin fat burning metabolism forever. Your body just adjusts itself. I experienced somewhat similar, when I didn't lose weight during a month though I sticked to healthy nutrition and worked out a lot.

Just keep eating healthy, and don't check your weight every day) It demotivates you. Be patient.

Best wishes to you.

Jane01177 04-24-2013 03:47 AM

Thank you so much MidnightBlue :) I feel much more relieved.

Saliena 04-24-2013 07:04 AM

Give your body time to adjust. I know the first 3 months worth of soberity I must have gained and lost the same 5 pounds about 10 times. I am not sure how/why but I found exerise after a year of soberity and have lost 30 pounds. Who knew eating right and exerise ACTUALLY works?!? Seriously...

Dib42 04-24-2013 07:20 AM

weight isn't a good indicator, as muscle weighs significantly more than fat... So if you've burned a lot of fat off your body, and built muscle, you'll gain weight, even though you may be thinner.

Just an idea... maybe you're getting healthier....

sugarbear1 04-24-2013 11:55 AM

Are you exercising?

Jane01177 04-24-2013 12:37 PM

No I'm not exercising, i never had to exercise because i used to have really fast metabolism, so if I eat healthy or cut some calories i could lose weight straight away. But 6 weeks ago I consumed large amount of alcohol on empty stomach, now my stomach is still bloated and even if I eat less and do a lot of walking I'm not losing anything at all :( its been this way 6 weeks :( seems odd to me

LDT 04-24-2013 12:51 PM

6 weeks is still relatively early. It took me a lot longer for my system to finally level out. Give your body time to adjust to the new you. Anything is better than drinking!

Jane01177 04-24-2013 01:15 PM

Dear LDT thank you, I'll try my best to be patient, by the way my skin and eyes turned yellow the day after the alcohol consumption, i mean not completely yellow, other people cannot see the difference, but I can tell that it is not as white as it used to be. Its like a mild jaundice, and wondering if my skin and eyes will turn white again ? if yes how long it normally takes ?

Dee74 04-24-2013 02:07 PM

No I'm not exercising, i never had to exercise because i used to have really fast metabolism
metabolisms change Jane - they change with age, and they can change especially after we have a massive physical change like stopping drinking.

You might have to work a little harder now to keep the pounds off :)

D

Jane01177 04-24-2013 02:16 PM

Dear Dee,
I normally drink very little, only like once every 3 months or sth, and this last time(6weeks ago) when I had alcohol was a huge mistake, because it was way too much and i drank it like a water just to make me sleep tight because I was having an insomnia :(
but can one incident of large amount of alcohol change metabolism ?

Dee74 04-24-2013 02:24 PM

I'm not a Dr Jane, sorry.
Metabolisms very rarely stay static tho.

I could eat whatever I liked, and as much of it too, until I was 30 and I was a thin as a rake.

Since then it's been a constant struggle with weight for me.

D

Richierich777 04-24-2013 03:24 PM

Drink plenty of water 8 glassess. Water weight goes first when you lose weight. Then it gets tougher

Jane01177 04-24-2013 03:33 PM

I am literally drinking 5 liters of water per day, still not losing nor gaining just being stuck there, which is sooo weird I've never experienced difficulty losing weight and suddenly got stuck.

LDT 04-24-2013 03:46 PM

Jane....nothing is permanent....please know that things will improve as long as you stay away from booze. No one can give you an exact time frame because our bodies are all different . I personally do 4-5 days of power yoga a week, which keeps me in shape. But anything cardio will help jump start your metabolism if that's your main concern. Dee's right...metabolisms rarely stay static. ....And yes, your eyes and/or skin will clear up. Just don't drink.

deeker 04-24-2013 03:50 PM

That should be the least of your problems right now. Your doctor said you are healthy and at a normal weight. Focus on staying sober, you have enough on your plate with that.

noanxtime 04-24-2013 04:16 PM

I don't see how a one-time binge on wine would make a permanent change to ones metabolism.
I would suggest that maybe learning about how the metabolism of a person of your age/body type works may help you learn about eating healthier etc.
Unless alcohol contributed to a large majority of your calorie intake on a regular basis, you really can't count the wine as a 'stopper or starter' of your metabolism.
I lost almost 30 pounds when I stopped drinking - mostly due to eliminating 8000 per week in wine calories. A sober and subsequent healthier eating plan did not pack back any more of those lost calories. Things just leveled off.
I think you might be leaning too much on a one time incident to mistake for your body's natural change.

Jane01177 04-24-2013 11:12 PM

Do you think it might be a natural change ?