SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 10 and feeling numb (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/292433-day-10-feeling-numb.html)

Acheleus 04-23-2013 07:19 PM

Day 10 and feeling numb

Ten days sober now and struggling to finish papers for school. I feel like drinking to relieve stress and relax, but I know I am someone who cannot drink. I hope everyone is staying strong and sober tonight.

Richierich777 04-23-2013 07:21 PM

Good for you. Yes stay strong and get that paper done. Then you can relax.

Acheleus 04-23-2013 07:28 PM

Yes I just returned from the library with more books. Freaking out but trying to believe in myself. I always feel dumb when I quit drinking. When I drink I feel confident and sharp. But I must look like a dang fool to others.

Richierich777 04-23-2013 07:34 PM

Yeah I was the opposite. I went to school all of the time sober and when I did my paper and projects. Good for you. Stay busy and your right, I made a fool of myself when I did drink and that's why I choose not to drink. Now you got me wondering what class the paper is for ....lol

Acheleus 04-23-2013 07:38 PM

English papers for grad school. Sixty pages to plow through this week. The big temptation to drink will come when I finish. Going to start running instead.

Fallow 04-23-2013 07:48 PM

Funny how drinking relieves stress, only to create so much more stress.

I have a lot of stress right now I would love to relieve but alcohol would only delay and intensify those feelings.

Richierich777 04-23-2013 07:48 PM

you are in grad school and you have done more than thousand and thousands of people. Getting that degree is your goal. Congratulations. It's an old story but there was a lady who decided one day to run 52 marathons in a year. She did it. It was determination. Good luck and getter done. Lol

Tang 04-23-2013 08:25 PM

I drank my way through grad school. It wasn't social drinking either. I used it to drink myself to sleep. Needless to say I almost failed out. How dumb was I? What a great opportunity I squandered.

Dave42001 04-23-2013 09:07 PM

Nice work on your 10 days.. Stay strong and good luck in your paper!! One day at a time!!

Mizzuno 04-23-2013 09:28 PM

Your doing it! The papers are getting done. Your sober and persevering through. Bravo!!! Keep on with this road. You have more important things to do my friend.

neferkamichael 04-23-2013 09:53 PM

Acheleus, Day 10 and feeling numb? You areFANTASTIC. Congratulations. :egypt:

ScoutBall 04-23-2013 10:03 PM

Keep doin' it Mate.
You can, you know.

I'm rootin' for ya.

SereneEdition 04-23-2013 10:06 PM

I've been working through PAWS and mental sluggishness too.

For me, breaking up larger projects into smaller daily segments and just focusing on those, such as a daily word count, makes it a lot easier. It also reduces the stress.

1newcreation 04-23-2013 10:06 PM

Keep doing smthg lest u're bored & actually do drink. But when the urges are strong, play the tape all the way instead of just the beginning, & I'm sure u'll change you're mind to "no thanks"

Kobra 04-23-2013 10:13 PM

Hey

I know it can be stressful, but drinking isn't the solution. 10 days is a BIG deal. Don't throw away all your hard work. Just because we stop drinking doesn't mean life stops being stressful. There will still be difficulties in life.

Being sober simplifies problems a lot of times but it doesn't make life stop for us. We just have do learn how to deal with life when it happens.

And I promise it gets better. You're doing the right thing. Take care of yourself and please don't drink.:You_Rock_

Acheleus 04-24-2013 01:00 AM

Trying to stay positive but still feel absolutely done for and don't know why. I am a ghost, some specter who watches other people's lives. I wonder how they manage to take life straight on. The world needs to be distorted for me. Something is rotten inside of me and I have no one on this earth to talk to--no friends, no sweet women, no mentors. At least with alcohol I could feel like a human being. I don't know why I cannot write. I'm old and washed up like the white trash I have always been. Sorry guys.

Dee74 04-24-2013 01:31 AM

Hi Acheleus :)

you know it's your addiction telling you those things right?

Early recovery is hard - but it will get easier. You have to have faith tho and stay sober in order to get to the good stuff.

Do you have any other support besides SR at all?

D

Acheleus 04-24-2013 02:06 AM

AA meetings. Sorry I am just freaked out about all this writing and I am angry. Going to blast through this stuff tomorrow. Ready to move to key west and work in a hotel.