Notices

Day 1: Just came from AA

Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1: Just came from AA

Day 1 sober:

I went to my first AA meeting today, it was interesting. It was a subject based meeting and the topic was whether AA is a cure all or not…after listening to various responses I wondered whether I was in the right place. I respect and tolerate other people’s points of view so I won’t try to pull apart what some people said because I made the decision to learn with an open mind. At the end of the meeting I had some interesting conversations and the people were warm and friendly.

What did strike me though was that 90% of those who shared have been sober for a number of years (most 10 years and above) since they joined AA and followed the program. I felt a sense of hope that this is possible for me. There were some great transformation stories that made me decide to go back again and listen and learn from these people.

That been said I was inconspicuously the only under 30 year old in the room and I wondered whether AA is missing out on a generation that is currently feeding on alcohol and drugs to survive. Anyway it was my first meeting and I intend to go back.

I also need pour out all the alcohol in my place this evening. I really want to get this done and request your encouragement.

Johhny!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, Johnny.

You are off to a good start on the road to recovery. I am glad you observed that others are staying sober. They have something you probably want. Keep going back.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done you are doing a great thing. I am at the same generation as you. I've spent my twenties binge drinking. I'm currently trying to kick this horrible habit. I'm looking at different opinions that can help me on my journey. If I'm being honest I'm finding it tough emotionally so if you feel like I do take solace in the fact that your not alone here
Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The main thing is that you get and stay sober.

The path you choose to do that is less important than your resolve.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a refreshing observation. I was at a meeting Saturday and sitting in a row of 6 chairs I estimated that a total of about 200 years of sobriety were there. it shows we still need the reminders of what and where we were and how easy it is to go back there. Hang in there. BE WELL
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask about Young People in AA meetings in your area, they do exist!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Needtoheal, day 1? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad the meeting was enjoyable and that you plan to go back.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you went!! Good stuff!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

poor the drink down the sink , throw the bottles away Wooo !

Bestwishes, M
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needtoheal View Post
Day 1 sober:

I went to my first AA meeting today, it was interesting. It was a subject based meeting and the topic was whether AA is a cure all or not…after listening to various responses I wondered whether I was in the right place. I respect and tolerate other people’s points of view so I won’t try to pull apart what some people said because I made the decision to learn with an open mind. At the end of the meeting I had some interesting conversations and the people were warm and friendly.

What did strike me though was that 90% of those who shared have been sober for a number of years (most 10 years and above) since they joined AA and followed the program. I felt a sense of hope that this is possible for me. There were some great transformation stories that made me decide to go back again and listen and learn from these people.

That been said I was inconspicuously the only under 30 year old in the room and I wondered whether AA is missing out on a generation that is currently feeding on alcohol and drugs to survive. Anyway it was my first meeting and I intend to go back.

I also need pour out all the alcohol in my place this evening. I really want to get this done and request your encouragement.

Johhny!
That's great!
I can tell you that I am one of the many under 30 yr olds in my area so they are out there. Generally, it seems harder for younger folks to want sobriety, but the ones that do, then ones that embrace the program are a wonderful source of enthusiasm, love and energy in the rooms. Hopefully you'll stick around long enough to see that.
Best wishes!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
poor the drink down the sink , throw the bottles away Wooo !

Bestwishes, M
Mecanix, I just did, I was looking forward to doing it after the AA meeting and the posts here but it was a bit hard when it came to doing it. I still have some of the expensive stuff left and not sure whether to give it out or just pour it.

Sober one day at a time!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good going dude,

Im only a couple of years past 30 and it only dawned on me 6 months ago i actually had a problem.

During my teens and 20's it was simply a "jolly up" every weekend and a fair bit in the week.

Its when you hit 30 (or in my case 31) it does dawn on you that what you are doing cannot be right and will lead to nothing but misery. Does it stop you tho, not in my case (yet).

Dogg
(* clean for 2 days)
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dogg View Post
Its when you hit 30 (or in my case 31) it does dawn on you that what you are doing cannot be right and will lead to nothing but misery. Does it stop you tho, not in my case (yet).
I didn't stop yet at that age either. I kept at it. At age 37 things came home to roost as I had 3 seizures, ended up in the ER twice and got 15 stitches after I nearly bit off my tongue. My beautiful girlfriend dumped me and my friends left too. I watched my mom, dad, and sister weep tears of shame, sadness, and disappointment as I was wheeled off to detox. Then I went to an in-patient treatment facility where I shared a room with a constipated Fidel Castro look-alike for 3 weeks. I think the bill was close to 17K.

If you're interested in following my path, by all means keep drinking! I'll tell you that it definitely worked for me! Been 9 months since those dark days and I haven't even thought about a drink. Then again if you want to take a different route I understand. Probably starts with putting down the bottle. NOW.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dogg View Post
Good going dude,

Im only a couple of years past 30 and it only dawned on me 6 months ago i actually had a problem.

During my teens and 20's it was simply a "jolly up" every weekend and a fair bit in the week.

Dogg
(* clean for 2 days)
Dogg, mate thanks for sharing... 2 days sober

As I poured it down the drain, all the "fun" and not so fun times flashed through my mind. Alcohol has been my partner for as long as I can remember and it dawned on me how much of a task I have ahead. It's not the first time for me either to quit but this time I committed to trying one day at a time for as long as it takes as opposed to expecting everything to fall into place after a few months.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Go to a young persons meeting and you will not be the youngest person in the room.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I live in a college town and there are a bunch of meetings for younger people. They exist.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

there may be some real old people ther, but theres a good chance they werent real old when they got into AA.
i had a hrad time with a man in AA when i got in. he was quite wise. lotsa knowledge. i was 36 when i entered AA. he was mid 60's. then came his anniversary. turnes out that when i asked him and he said he got sober when he was 33. he got old because he got sober.
best speaker i ever heard: 42 years old with 28 years of recovery through AA.