day 2

Here goes nothing...
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Nmp, day 2? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 2 - awesome!

Broke the day 1 which is huge!

Good luck :-)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The hardest part for me is at night. I start to fall asleep and my heart pounds like crazy and wakes me up in a panic. And I have crazy dreams.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me to.. let's do it together...
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 2 myself, once again (ahem). I'd REALLY like this one to be the last one. I have noticed that 2 and 3 tend to be worse for me than the first day. nmp and dain, let us stay hydrated and occupied on other things today.

Last edited by InNeedOfGrace; 04-23-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: To mention dainb, also on day 2
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I brought a gallon of water to work with me today instead of my rum and coke =)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been on day 2 a few times too. The longest I've made it in about 3 years is 5 days.
The weekends are really hard. Friends are used to coming to our house and having some drinks on the weekends. I have said that I'm quitting so many times now that they don't really take me seriously.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been on day two several times too and usually for me it is easier to stay sober for months but then I get blindsided because I haven’t learned healthy ways of dealing with my challenges and victories alike. As I reflect, a few things that I recognize as important for me to do now are having a friend/partner/sponsor that can hold me accountable during the times I get harassed by life or experience several successes. I am also making the choice to spend more time around people who consider my sobriety as important.

Today afternoon at the office I was chatting with one of the guys I drank with a lot and he was planning this epic drinking weekend for us. I politely declined and told him of the planned trips out of town for some day festivals instead of spending most of my social life in bars/people’s home getting drunk and nursing hangovers. He appreciated that and actually wants to join in though I know he’ll suggest drinking when there and that brings up my question nmp0425 and others:

how do you speak about sobriety to your former drinking mates once you choose that path? What should you (not) expect? All the times I tried this in the past I was either laughed at/hurt by friends or it was me hurting some friends tremendously as we shared so much together, for family they were extremely happy for me….are there other posts on this?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kudos to everyone!! Take it one day at a time and keep up the good work!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have a couple of friends who understand I have a problem. They are not heavy drinkers themselves so it is easy to talk to them. I guess I just need to make it clear to EVERYONE my goals and if they can't accept that I will limit my time with them. I have a very supportive husband which really helps. He is willing to help communicate to our friends that if they want to hang out with us it needs to be alcohol free.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Whenever I have been laughed at I laughed along so people don't understand how serious my struggle is. I am in a vicious cycle that is eating me alive!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back nmp

I'm glad you're talking about making changes - I think it's necessary if we want different outcomes.

There's a lot of support here too

D
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not being taken seriously is looming large in my life right now. I realized around Easter that everyone -- everyone -- in my life thinks of me as little more than a crazy drunk. And they have a lot invested in me continuing to fill that role. Unfortunately my family is not going to be very happy for me, for that reason. They might say otherwise, but me pursuing sanity is seriously rocking the boat. It's threatening to them.

So, basically none of my old drinking cronies, I expect, are going to take well to my sobriety. I'm not shutting anyone out completely but I'm realistic about what to expect and I'm busy setting up boundaries to protect myself.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

awesome job! I made it through today also.