Notices

Back to start again!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to start again!

Hi I posted on this forum a few months ago having got so drunk and blacking out at a stag party. Since then I have not had much drink a an odd single drink here and there but no more. Thinking that I could control my drinking I went on a bus run with my Rugby team. I stayed out of rounds and though I was in control next thing I know my wife is wakening me up on our sofa. I have a total memory blank and am so down again worrying about what I done and who I insulted. I now no that I cant control it, once I take one it leads to alot. I have pissed off my wife again and she is fed up hereing false promises that it wont happen again. The trust that I did build up with her about my drinking over the past few months I have wrecked in one night out.

Do I need to go to AA, I am normally very quiet and shy and dread meeting new people so am worried about going into this environmnet or who might see me
Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Welcome Christyham!

Congratulations on your decision to be done with it!

You don't *have* to go to AA. There are other programs that people use around here, and some people even use just this site for their support.

On the other hand, maybe getting out of your comfort zone isn't a bad thing. In the long run it can't really hurt to walk into an AA meeting and see how they work for you.

In the end, with whatever you choose, you need to make a plan for your recovery.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for coming here and sharing!

If you approach sobriety like rugby, you will like being on the AA team. Please join a meeting as soon as possible!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You will learn a lot at AA, from people who know exactly what you're going through. It's well worth going. There are also other methods like SMART recovery and AVRT which might be worth checking out too x
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Start over today. You can do this but you've got to want to be sober more than you want to drink. How badly do you want to be sober?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by christyham View Post

Do I need to go to AA, I am normally very quiet and shy and dread meeting new people so am worried about going into this environmnet or who might see me
it might be a good idea to attend a meeting or two

you can always pick one out across town if you wish

being seen at a meeting is not the worst thing that can happen to one

onehigherpower