Notices

Going to the doctor today HELP!!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to the doctor today HELP!!!!

It's been a long time coming, but today I'm finally going to the doctor and asking for help. The problem is, I have no idea where to start. I know the chaos that's going on in my body and mind, but he doesn't. How can i convey all of my fear, anxiety, addiction, etc in an opening statement.

I'm dreading this, but I know I can't do it on my own. but what do I say to him?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

First off, don't worry - they've seen and heard it all before. There is nothing you can say that will be a surprise.

Second off, just relax - doctors are here to help you. Just tell the truth - that you have concerns about your usage. Be honest with how much you drink/take and whatever your concerns might be. Also let him know what your plans are to quit ( assuming that is your plan ).
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would be completely honest and tell him exactly how much you're drinking and/or using. In addition let him now how you are feeling. Don't pull any punches. Say it exactly as it is. The very best of luck. Also, if you feel you would benefit form counseling, tell him this as well. Don't let him fob you off with a bunch of pills.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree that it's a 2 part process. I think I'd really benefit from some sort of counseling, but in the meantime I think I need medication to help detox. I don't take any pills or drugs besides alcohol. I'm pretty sedated most of the time and i think it would be a huge shock to my system to just stop suddenly.

I've never met this doctor before and that's also scary. I hope he's compassionate and easy to talk to. I'm worried he's going to talk down to me or treat me like I'm a bad person or something.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by DoloresHaze View Post
I'm worried he's going to talk down to me or treat me like I'm a bad person or something.
Doctors treat addiction like they would any other disease - please don't worry about that. You are going to get help, and Doctors are there to help. You'll feel so much better after you get there and realize that.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's been a long time coming, but today I'm finally going to the doctor and asking for help. The problem is, I have no idea where to start. I know the chaos that's going on in my body and mind, but he doesn't. How can i convey all of my fear, anxiety, addiction, etc in an opening statement.

I'm dreading this, but I know I can't do it on my own. but what do I say to him?
It helps to write down your points on paper before the appointment to keep you on track, and so you don't forget anything.

Take some time to write down your concerns.

Be honest even though it is scary.

Don't worry about the judgement. (hard to do, easy to say, I know, but try!)

Breathe, smile, be positive.

You care about your health, and are taking steps to take good care of yourself.

That is admirable.

Good Luck.

Relax...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree that it's a 2 part process. I think I'd really benefit from some sort of counseling, but in the meantime I think I need medication to help detox. I don't take any pills or drugs besides alcohol. I'm pretty sedated most of the time and i think it would be a huge shock to my system to just stop suddenly.

I've never met this doctor before and that's also scary. I hope he's compassionate and easy to talk to. I'm worried he's going to talk down to me or treat me like I'm a bad person or something.
Please be sure to be honest about alcohol before asking for any medication.

Some medications should not be given to someone with alcoholism.

Some act on the brain just as alcohol, and to the brain, it cannot tell the difference.

Leads back to drinking, is a substitute for drinking, and ruins any attempts at long lasting sobriety.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tell the doctor everything!! Be totally honest, he's there to help you!!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I finally went to the doctor last week. I was able to take my mom with me. I recent;y told her my whole story and she was able to help me convey it to the doctor. I, too, went to a doctor that I had never met before. When I made the appointment I asked for someone who is versed in addictions but all doctors have heard these horror stories before. And you have to be very very honest with them. Since you are admitting to a problem, drinking a few glasses of wine a week should not be your answer. My doctor had me start at the beginning and she wrote everything down. I mentioned pills but she wanted me in a program first. Tell him how the detox has been going for you so far, my doctor gave me tips on who to be around, what I could and could not handle. She warned me how fragile I was and was going to continue to be for a while. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with the above. Come clean with the doctor and tell him/her how badly you want to quit drinking and that you need help in getting safely thru detox. They've seen it all before, don't be afraid.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice everyone...

it went ok. I was so nervous at first that my voice was trembling. He turned out to be a really nice man. At first he prescribed me just something for the anxiety, but then i told him I was concerned about withdrawls. Then he prescribed Librium.

Question: I took the Librium about 45 minutes ago and I'm still nervous and kinda sick feeling. Is that usually the case the first day? I've been abusing myself for 5 years. I don't think I'm going to feel like superwoman within the first few hours.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great job Dolores. I can't speak for your doctor or give any medical advice, but i know that withdrawal is not the greatest feeling in the world - whether you have drugs to help or not. The first few days were hell for me. If you still feel ill i'd suggest calling back to check in with the DR.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is normal to feel sick, you are detoxing. Librium is an anti seizure med. Was your BP OK? I always got high BP meds as well.

Remember it only gets better from here. Hang in there.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
First off, don't worry - they've seen and heard it all before. There is nothing you can say that will be a surprise.
there it is
most all doctors have been around this block many times before

our doctor is one who we should be able to share regarding anything

onehigherpower
Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope this doesn't qualify as medical advice, if so I guess it will just get removed, so here goes: when I quit, my doc gave me Librium also. It worked, and it had no sedative effect on me, like I couldn't tell I took a drug at all. So I had no desire to use/abuse it, it just killed the anxiety and withdrawal symptoms after about a day.

I hope that stuff works for you! Welcome to SR and good luck in recovery
Old 04-22-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Delores,
That was a courageous first step you took. Good for you. You are no longer alone in this. I had to think of my doctor as a partner...a team if you will. Keep us posted. I found SR a great member on my team too. I found tremendous support here and it was comforting to find people who understood.

It was hard for me in the beginning too but it was so worth it. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dolores, I'm glad things went well at the dr. and that you have a plan for recovery.

I think you'll start to feel better soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good job Delores for being brave and taking this step!!!!! Withdrawal is hard the Librium will help but it takes awhile. Just do it!!! Know that your going to feel sick, dizzy and tons...of anxiety. Maybe even shakes and nausea. But it is so worth it. You will never have to feel like this again.

I can relate to your story , I'm living proof it can be done.

Hugs your way
Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
It is normal to feel sick, you are detoxing. Librium is an anti seizure med. Was your BP OK? I always got high BP meds as well.

Remember it only gets better from here. Hang in there.
Yes, he said my blood pressure was a little high, but he didn't even tell me this until I asked. He said he knew i was very nervous so he didn't think it was a big deal. Also i'm fairly young.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job taking the first couple steps of deciding you want to quit and seeing a doctor. It is scary to come clean to a doctor, but it is for the best. Now you have a professional to turn to if you have any concerns or if the w/d get too bad.

Now your next step is to decide on a plan for recovery. There are a bunch of different recovery programs AA, RationalRecovery, Lifering, etc. so find one or a couple that you can incorporate into your life and keep moving forward!