Notices

Still Sober/defending my sobriety

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still Sober/defending my sobriety

2 months and 5 days clean today!! Just wanted to check in since I haven't been here in a few Weeks. It's getting easier everyday now. I had a break down yesterdAy. As you all probably know you still have people in your life who question your sobriety. I had that yesterday and it was one of the most discouraging experiences ever. You fight so hard to stay clean yet you have people sitting there just waiting for you to fail. Not much you can do about them. Just focus on your sobriety and.prove everyone wrong.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done. Keep fighting the good fight. Anyone who changes their lives like you have done is an inspiration to new members like me. You give me hope that anything is possible I hope and pray that I'll be on here posting like you are doing. I'd love to stay away from alcohol for that length of time. People always question other people who are making positive changes in their lives. I know cause I've been that person who has been critical. Of course I was in denial myself and just hated seeing someone doing something I couldn't at the time
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations HealingMySoul! I've dealt with negative people in my recovery. It was tiring and non productive. I'm so proud of you, you're doing fantastic.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have lost a few friends because they didn't feel I had a problem and wouldn't support my decision. The good news is it is not that hard to make new, sober friends. I actually re connected with some old friends who are sober and didn't want to deal with me when I was drinking. They are very supportive and glad to have me back. If your drinking/addiction caused you to loose touch with some people like I did, I suggest extending the olive branch. I felt the need to apologize for my behavior and it's funny how they only wanted to know I was healthy and to welcome me back. None of my old drinking buddies even cared I was healthy and happy. Goes to show you who your real friends are. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darkplace2013 View Post
Well done. Keep fighting the good fight. Anyone who changes their lives like you have done is an inspiration to new members like me. You give me hope that anything is possible I hope and pray that I'll be on here posting like you are doing. I'd love to stay away from alcohol for that length of time. People always question other people who are making positive changes in their lives. I know cause I've been that person who has been critical. Of course I was in denial myself and just hated seeing someone doing something I couldn't at the time
Several times through my addiction I went to forums like this and saw people sober for even 5 DAYS and I envied them. I was so deep in the dark, vicous place of my addiction that I felt being a "junky" was my destiny. Being in abusive relationships was what I deserves and that my babies would be better off if I killed myself or have them away. My love for them was SO STRONG that I held onto them and fought hard to juggle "good mommy" and "drug addict Mel" as we all know you can't be both. I decided I either needed to be the mommy I deserves or else give them to someone else and kill myself with my addiction. The night I chose to get sober, I watched my 3 babies cuddles up together in my bed sleeping for HOURS and just cried. I wrote an entry in my journal promising myself and my babies that this was it. I was giving 200% of myself to get clean no matter how bad it hurt or how sick I was. I'm clean today because I was READY to get clean. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it. I will pray for you and I I just want you to know that you CAN do this!! You CAN be where I am. There's so much darkness to my addict days and the things I did for drugs and as I sit here today my heart breaks for that woman I used to be because she didn't HAVE to do that, she could have.been here where I am focusing on what matters, life, her babies, the sun shining, making a trip to the store without worrying about waiting an hour in the parking lot for her dealer before going in to get groceries. Having money in my hand and spending it on fun days with my babies instead of drugs. Life is SO MUCH BETTER sober!!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You sound so strong and happy. It makes me feel so much better knowing that maybe someday I can be like that. It's ironic that when I drink I think I'm happy so I drink more and more until I wake up hungover depressed isolated. I then used that as an excuse to drink again. Something went off in me last week and I found SR and its been like a lifeline to me since. I'm under no illusion I've a very hard journey ahead of me but I take solace in the fact that there are people out there who have been in a bad place and changed their lives. Fair play to you your a great person in my eyes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

great thread, very psotive. can i ask what you are doing in your recovery?stay vigilant,addiction is cunning,baffling and powerfull
peace
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to forums like this and saw people sober for even 5 DAYS and I envied them
Yes - I remember that feeling of hopelessness too. I'm only about 6 weeks along but things are waaaay better.
There were times when I felt like I might never get clean.
I remember reading stories like yours and they are VERY inspiring.
Day 1? I lost count of how many Day 1's i've had. Easily over 1,000.
But you just have to keep getting up and trying again. TRY WHATEVER IT TAKES. It's worth it.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by HealingMySoul View Post
. As you all probably know you still have people in your life who question your sobriety. I had that yesterday and it was one of the most discouraging experiences ever. You fight so hard to stay clean yet you have people sitting there just waiting for you to fail. Not much you can do about them.
I don't have people in my life who question my sobriety. I have people in my life who are supportive and caring. And, there's lots you can do about people like that. Remove them from your life. I had to, because my recovery depended on it. Hard choices make recovery easier.