Notices

Panic attacks

Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks

What do you do? I haven't had one for awhile. Ive already had 30mg of Valium and stacks of codeine. Trying to breathe. Only have 30mg val left until tomorrow. How I am going to get through this detox starting next week? I'm freaking out. Just bought a bottle of baileys.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

I don't mean to be flippant, MLC, because I do want the very best for you.....but what you don't do is buy a bottle of Bailey's. You are only compounding an already very serious problem. I know what I am talking about because I was hospitalized from panic attacks. Please get rid of the Bailey's. PM me if you need to.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

MLC I don't want to be lacking in empathy either but you've seen this coming from a long way away - you must have discussed this week with your Dr, counselllor, or ATODS? what did they say?

Seriously...you're in enough trouble.
Alcohol is not the solution here - not even short term.

D
Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't opened it. I'm just freaking out because i only have 30mg Valium left until tomorrow morning. One a a bit weeks and I'll be ok hospital detox.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't really had panic attacks since I was young. Need strategies please
Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not planning on drinking while I'm looking after my kids. I bought it incase I freak pit tonight
Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some good advice on this site:

Can't Take it Anymore? Read This! « Calm Clinic

D
Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ta
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are ways around freaking out that do not have to involve alcohol or more drugs. Deep breathing, talking, walking, playing with your children, getting on this forum, writing, reading, calling someone, praying. What is the worst that could happen? You freak out. Then what? A little more freaking out. You are not going to die from freaking out. These emotions are not going to kill you. The doctors are weening you off the meds and now there is YOU to deal with. Drinking will only compound the already detrimental situation. Once again, the idea is to get you off of all the things that you are medicating yourself with. This can and will happen if you are an active participant in the process. Please allow the process to take place without intervening and self medicating. You can do this MLC. You are not alone.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
I haven't really had panic attacks since I was young. Need strategies please
Breathe....relax....walk slowly....fresh air....all can help. Make sure you getting adequate nutrition and sleep. Avoid caffeine and sugar. Definitely get rid of the baileys...it will make it much worse.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks I'm trying the breathing thjng. Just unpacking the groceries was making me cry. My 2 and 4 year olds are giving me a
Shoulder massage now <3
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wish I could have a sleep
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Maybe build a pillow/blanket fort with the kiddos and all take a nap?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Actually trying that but now they are making Massage potion out of ice water, flour, massage oil and celery leaves....
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There's been some amazing advice here Midlife...Dee's website is really good, and Mizzuno really said it all...so to echo, the baileys won't help. If you suffer from anxiety, the after effects of the alcohol make it so much worse. Tomorrow would be hell. Keep taking Scott's advice, and play with your kids.

And breath. Breath. Think I CAN DO THIS! Over and over. Know you are not alone.

Venus xx
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
orangutan

My therapist told me to count while you do the breathing,

in one two three, out one two three, over and over
concentrating on the counting helps takes your mind away from the panic attack.

Best wishes its a scarey feeling.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Distraction worked best for me with panic attacks. Listen to music on headphones and sing along, books on tape, something else you need to concentrate on. EFT and CBT are both really good for panic attacks. Looking up ways to cope with them could be a good distraction too. I'm afraid even your drugs aren't going to help you with this. Panic attacks are psychological. And it is understandable. If you are just on your way to detox and are tapering your AV is freaking out, not you, you want to quit drugs right? That panic is normal and will pass eventually, and if it doesn't then you can work on ways to cope. But drugs and alcohol have never been a solution to panic attacks x Hope you're feeling a bit better by now x
Old 04-22-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

when I was drinking I found that for some reason Baileys actually made me feel lower than any other drink - I think it's all the sugar in it.
Drugs and alcohol cause me to have panic attacks - unfortunately you just need to get through the horrible bit to feel the calmness of being sober/clean.
It helped me when I was at my lowest to carry a picture of my children (a favourite picture) and look at it when I was crying etc - they need you and love you, you have to do this xxx
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I feel better. I lay down and breathed and my kids gave me a massage then I went to the gym.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good job, MLC! Here's a technique that always works for me. it's like counting breaths. Breath in through your nose, slowly for the count of four. hold the breath to the count of five and then slowly exhale through the mouth to the count of eight. Do this several times. I find it helps me to touch my thumbs to my middle finger while doing the breaths.

Have you asked your doctors about beta blockers? I take a very low dose of atenonol and it keeps my heart rate regular. Something else you might ask your doctors about is mitral valve prolapse. it's a very, very common trait in white women. it's not a big deal, health wise but can cause an effect that seems to trigger panic attacks. It can be diagnosed by echo cardiogram. Worth checking out I think. it's mostly just nuisance and not usually a problem.

Take care, please, and don't drink. I can promise you, alcohol will make the panic worse.

Love from Lenina