Notices

My dog is smarter than I am...

Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My dog is smarter than I am...

She has an invisible fence and the collar that "reminds" her not to leave the yard. Today my daughter wanted to take her for a walk around the neighborhood. When she got near to the place where she knows there is pain, she refused to go any further and put up one hell of a fight. If only I were so wise.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Part of recovery for me was to get honest with myself. Pain is a great motivator and that can be seen on these pages as to what the continuing drinking road will take us. Many years before the internet, I latched onto AA and life is so much better now for so many of us. Simple and perhaps not easy but it works if we work it. BE WELL
Old 04-21-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by sammy1974 View Post
If only I were so wise.
You're here, so you have the wisdom to make the fight.

Perhaps you just need to learn the proper fighting skills. Your addiction is no match for you once you do.

Best of Luck!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My late dog Max hated whenever I drank. He would try to distract me and even whine about it sometimes. Smart boy! He knew it made his mommy sick and he'd probably be missing his walk and playtime the next day. He loved me to the end tho. Makes me sad of all the good times I missed because of it. Animals are so smart. He loved me to his last breath tho, and I'll always love him until mine.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Hi Sammy, welcome!

I love this idea of the dog being smarter than I am... I am sure I will find a way to use that idea in the future, thank you!

If you are using this analogy to feel bad about yourself, however, don't... add something else to the analogy...

Some jerk turns off the invisible fense and starts tempting the dog out of the yard with delicious bacon treats. The dog wants those treats and eventually braves the fear of the fence and takes a treat. Feeling no pain because the fence is off, the dog is braver and more easily tempted into taking a treat, and is soon venturing far into the fence's danger zone without fear. And that's when the aforementioned jerk turns the fence back on and zaps the fur off of the dog.

That's what alcohol does to me, and that's why I need the help of as many smart little dogs I can find to remind me that I can never again go near the fence, no matter what treats are on the other side!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No goat, not using it to further beat myself up, just found a little humor in my dog's natural desire to not feel pain and to avoid things that cause it. I like your addendum though, probably more accurate to my situation.