SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   father needs advice/help (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/292083-father-needs-advice-help.html)

ericeric 04-20-2013 08:54 PM

father needs advice/help

Hello, my son is addicted to spice.he has used it for over 2 years. Spent every minute high when not working. Up until 2 months ago he did not see anything wrong with it. After some I convinced him to control his money so he cannot buy it. That was a struggle but I figure inside he knows he needs help. He told me he would try it for 30 days. (He had to or I would have told his boss to fire him. Then he would have no money.) He has been off 2 days. Wakes up deppresed and tired. Hated the world. Convinced him to go with me to panera for coffee and just watch people enjoy themselves. After he ate was in a better mood. Even talked to me about politics. I picked thirty days because I am hoping that his symptoms will get better and with it out of his body for a while it will make him think clearer. He gets very aggitated when not using it. Just need some suggestions , how long will withdrawal last and just vent. Thanks for reading.

Coldfusion 04-20-2013 09:03 PM

Welcome, ericeric!

It sounds like you and your son have a pretty good relationship, and that just the financial cost of his habit may be enough to convince him to quit. I am not familiar with spice with withdrawal, but I hear most often the suggestion to quit for a year (that may seem like a really long time to a young person...)

You may want to particiapate in some of the discussions here: Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Thanks for joining!

ericeric 04-20-2013 09:22 PM

Thanks for info. New to blog and spice. I want to know more so can help him. Thanks for links.

fantail 04-20-2013 10:05 PM

You're doing something wonderful for your son.

I don't know much about physical withdrawal from spice. But in terms of emotional withdrawal, I would say 30 days is too short. I quit drinking for 30 days earlier this year, and all it did was make me go back with a vengeance. It was long enough to make me very uncomfortable, but not long enough to force me to start handling my life differently. Right around the point where I should have started developing new habits, it was so close to the end of the month that I just waited it out.

This time I bargained with myself that I would try it for 90. I'm a bit over two months now and, having this time integrated new healthy routines to help me deal with stress substance-free, I now really value and appreciate my clear head.

Good luck to you and to your son. He's lucky to have you.

least 04-21-2013 01:17 AM

:welcome Do take a look at that link for friends and families. Lots of insight there from people who understand.:)