Notices

Working during detox

Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working during detox

I've reached a point in my life where I now know I need to get sober, alcohol seems to be the source of most of my problems.

I have a couple questions. Reading about alcohol detox scares me more than I can imagine. I'm pretty sure I'll need to talk to a doctor but how can I go through a detox if I can't take enough time off work? In that same vein, I need the employment for the insurance that would probably provide the detox. What are the thoughts on the viability on working during an out-patient detox?

Drinking about a pint a night for 10 years. Until recently that has been the extent of it. In the past couple months I've also gone on several weekend benders, and their corresponding enhanced hangovers. I've even had a few days at work where I nursed some vodka. I feel like the benders and the drinking at work have upped things a level I don't want to be.

I know I need to get the courage to pick up the phone and call a doc and admit to my family that I have a big problem.

My liver is sending me nasty grams and something has to change. Hopefully my liver isn't fully cirrhotic. I just feel so lost, guilty, and scared. Just, broken.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you've been at your current employer for a year, and worked 1250 hours in that calendar year, you will be eligible for up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off under the FMLA, or Family Medical Leave Act. Look into that, it's confidential and your doctor is authorized to clear it. Might ease your mind a bit.

Hope things go well for you in the recovery. Welcome to SR!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh Umbrage look into it!! If you can get FMLA to detox and get into recovery do it. I was nursing vodka at work and it led to losing my job. My dark days as I call it was only about a year and a half but if I would have known now then what was available..

Things worked out ok for me the road would have been so much easier
Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome

If I were to take 12 weeks off I wouldn't have a job to go back to. Even if they didn't fire me on the spot, I wouldn't be there very long afterward with no real way to prove it.

Maybe it's the AV or I'm just making excuses, but I honestly believe that. I want sobriety more than I can express in words but I also have to eat.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You don't have to take 12 weeks, you're just legally entitled to. But no, they can't fire you for taking authorized FMLA time off, or retaliate, or judge, zero zilch nada. No employer will take a stand against a federally governed leave system.

When finally fessed up to my family about my problem and went through the initial bad detox, I ended up taking something like 8 days off. The doctor classified my time off related to "Depression/Anxiety/Insomnia" and no more questions were asked.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Make sure to clear all this with work and the doctor FIRST, lol.

I am no lawyer, I would hate for you to jump into it, then hate me.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

See your doctor for a medically supervised detox. Perhaps a long weekend. I'd talk with the doctor about it, how to detox at home safely.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had to get medical help with detox a couple of times. Everyone is different, but the last time I did it I went in on a Saturday afternoon and was discharged on a Monday afternoon. Missed 1 day of work.

Now the after care is going to take some time, for me that some out patient stuff and AA. I managed to fit both of those into my schedule without missing any work.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks again all.

Planning to call and schedule an appointment with a doc tomorrow or Wednesday.

Work wouldn't fire me over the FMLA time, but the first mistake I made after I got back would be reason they used for the dismissal. We've had a couple staff abuse long term disability so the powers that be look VERY unfavorably on anything like it.

I feel like I could do a decent job of staying sober if I could get past the detox fears and not get too bored, which I'm sure AA would be helpful. There are quite a few AA meeting near me. I'm hoping I'm not deluding myself.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi and welcome to SR
I do not have health insurance and was not able to take off from work to detox either. I would suggest that you start your detox on a Saturday. You can expect to feel lousy the first 5 days but the first 3 are the worst so if you could call in sick on Monday, by Tuesday you should be ok to work even if you are still feeling lousy.