Notices

Unsure

Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsure

Hi

Okay, so I since I was a teenager I was a social drinker. I really didn't drink much because it made my anxiety worse. It was only in September of 2012 when the problem started. I had been dating a guy since April that had an alcohol problem. He was a wealthy business man working for a top financial firm but had a rough time growing up and a lot of stress and would often get drunk and call me. Verbally abuse me and not remember the next day. I tried to get him to stop but he said it made him relax. So, it's ironic that when my anxiety started getting out of control that and the doctors couldn't help that I thought well...my boyfriend is successful and he has a few drinks to take the edge off why can't I? It started off slow and then I went out of control. Wanting to numb everything all the time. It got to the point where I was making weekly hospital visits due to dehydration/poisoning/withdrawl, throwing up blood, passing out in places all over my house, oh the list goes on. I was basically an invalid. Walking was even a chore because I shook so bad. I shook so bad I really could barely eat or drink. There was literally a point where all I did all day and night was drink every time I woke up and just pass out again. I didn't eat. I think there are entire months I don't remember.

It's been a month. Maybe more. I think 5 weeks. Anyways, since I've drank by myself. Which was the problem. I have a counsellor that specializes in addiction and I'm going to AA.

Here are my questions:

When does the shaking stop? It's been 5 weeks my family dr told me to give it a month. It's been over a month and I'm starting to get afraid that I will forever shake in some manner. Believe me it's a ton better but when it gets later at night I shake all over and I'll shake if my arms, legs or whatever are in certain positions. I am very thankful it's not as bad as it was because I couldn't type and when I tried to eat it would shake off my fork. It was so frustrating. Anything I've read says that you have to be an alcoholic for years before you cause permanent nerve damage but I (according to the hospital) was consuming a very large amount.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to be shaky the rest of my life. Eek!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PrincessVaness

Congratulations on your 5 weeks

I think recovery time varies for everyone...but if you're concerned it's best you go back and see your Doctor
Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome to SR! Talking to your doctor again is a great idea. I hope you feel better very soon. Congrats on 5 weeks sober.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

and congrats on five weeks sober. See your doctor if you don't stop shaking soon. I'm glad you joined our family!