Notices

Advice on quitting

Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on quitting

Hi All,

Just joined, trying to "quit" drinking so this seems like a good place to start.

I guess I am in denial about my relationship w/ alcohol, I never thought of myself as an alcoholic, maybe alcohol dependent, but the way rationalize this is that if I'm not physically addicted "how could i be an alcoholic" (what an a** of a statement I know.)

I drink, maybe once a week, sometimes not for two-weeks, but when I do I will drink until there is nothing left or I've "conked" out.

The morning after is a living nightmare, the next couple of days include panic attacks, depressive thoughts, insomnia....

The mood starts to lift by the weekend, and after all the promises I've made to myself to quit, when the phone rings I never say no, and the cycle continues...

Wow the weekend is here, great, I need my weekly blackout followed by a day of vomiting and remorse.

Anyway just wanted to share my thoughts, it helps a lot.

Anyone any advice/suggestions on getting through/over, or even on top of this??
Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
Hi All,

Just joined, trying to "quit" drinking so this seems like a good place to start.

I guess I am in denial about my relationship w/ alcohol, I never thought of myself as an alcoholic, maybe alcohol dependent, but the way rationalize this is that if I'm not physically addicted "how could i be an alcoholic" (what an a** of a statement I know.)

I drink, maybe once a week, sometimes not for two-weeks, but when I do I will drink until there is nothing left or I've "conked" out.

The morning after is a living nightmare, the next couple of days include panic attacks, depressive thoughts, insomnia....

The mood starts to lift by the weekend, and after all the promises I've made to myself to quit, when the phone rings I never say no, and the cycle continues...

Wow the weekend is here, great, I need my weekly blackout followed by a day of vomiting and remorse.

Anyway just wanted to share my thoughts, it helps a lot.

I remember when my addiction was similar to this. I'd only drink a couple times a month, but I'd get crazy drunk, do stuff I'd regret, or not remember if I did things I regretted. Panic Attacks, Anxiety, depression, heart burn... etc... Eventually this led to drinking less quantity but more often, then over the years I was drinking a lot, and every day (after work)...

You're catching on to your problem a lot sooner than I did.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not how often or how much you drink, it's how it affects you.
Try and think that first drink through to the end, and all it'll bring with it.

Keep checking in and posting here helps me, too.
Just remember, you never have to have another hangover.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
I remember when my addiction was similar to this. I'd only drink a couple times a month, but I'd get crazy drunk, do stuff I'd regret, or not remember if I did things I regretted. Panic Attacks, Anxiety, depression, heart burn... etc... Eventually this led to drinking less quantity but more often, then over the years I was drinking a lot, and every day (after work)...

You're catching on to your problem a lot sooner than I did.
I find it difficult to admit to myself that I have a problem, it's doesn't seem like am addiction when it's irregular, but deep down I know, and want off this drug.

Hopefully I can get over this weekend and get some clarity.

Thanks for the reply by the way.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
It's not how often or how much you drink, it's how it affects you.
Try and think that first drink through to the end, and all it'll bring with it.

Keep checking in and posting here helps me, too.
Just remember, you never have to have another hangover.
It's funny that I know the consequences, but at the time it doesn't even enter my mind.

I couldn't even imagine a life w/out hangovers it would be great!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes.

Stop drinking right this second and free yourself from the shackles of alcoHELL. I was exactly like you, nothing ever gets better you dont magically stop doing this it gradually gets worse and worse. My hangovers insomnia and anxiety after a weekend binge where horrific.

Stop drinking = Freedom

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Periodic or binge drinking will be added to the new edition of the DSM (diagnostic and statistical manual--the "dictionary" for medical diagnosis).

You aren't alone! It's not how often or how much we drink.

You can stay stopped!! Come to the chat room in the evening (or whenever).
Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
I find it difficult to admit to myself that I have a problem, it's doesn't seem like am addiction when it's irregular, but deep down I know, and want off this drug.

Hopefully I can get over this weekend and get some clarity.

Thanks for the reply by the way.
My father was/is an alcoholic. So I pretty much knew that was the path i was heading down. Often admitting you have a problem is the first step. In my situation it wasn't... I knew I had a problem, and embraced it, I was one of those that fell into the "I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!" sort of mindset. But I thought I was an alcoholic in the same way an intelectual or a poet might be an alcoholic. It was part of who I was and people accepted that about me.

People often say its a progressive disease (i don't use the term disease personally, because I don't agree that it is a disease, i think its an addiction and a choice.) But I find it very true that it is progressive. You may not be an alcoholic yet, but you're definately on the path to being one. So in reality, you might as well be.

Anytime you're concerned about having to go someone or do something or it being the weekend, and you're concerned about "not drinking" that is a huge RED FLAG... normal people aren't concerned about whether or not they'll be drinking this weekend.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Harpoon

The best advice I can give you is read around and post as much as you like...find an approach you like and run with it

there's a ton of support here - I'd encourage you to join our Class of April thread- it's for anyone quitting this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-13.html
D
Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi harpoon I'm in the same boat as you and your story is the very same as mine.
I can not offer you advice as I've yet to be successful in staying away from alcohol but I wish you the best and I hope we can both stay sober.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Think about why you drink.

Weekly binge drinkers are often drinking for stress release, or because they're sad, or because it helps them socialize by numbing that feeling of alienation and not fitting in, or because that's what their friends are doing so they're meeting expectations, or maybe it's something not on that list at all.

I used to be a weekend warrior binge drinker. I never considered why I did it, but it was probably a mix of all of those.

Some people just snap out of it one day. And some people end up killing someone else in an auto accident while blacked-out drunk, and they end up in jail for a few years. And some people evolve to being a daily drunk, for all the same reasons that people binge on weekends, but now you're drinking to avoid withdrawals.

It's a pretty bitter vicious cycle. I wish I would have been one of those who snapped out of it, but I got to be a daily drunk instead. At least I didn't hurt anybody, that's something good to say (I owe it to a combination of paranoia, a certain amount of guile, and a whole lot of simple dumb luck)
Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
Think about why you drink.

Weekly binge drinkers are often drinking for stress release, or because they're sad, or because it helps them socialize by numbing that feeling of alienation and not fitting in, or because that's what their friends are doing so they're meeting expectations, or maybe it's something not on that list at all.

I used to be a weekend warrior binge drinker. I never considered why I did it, but it was probably a mix of all of those.

Some people just snap out of it one day. And some people end up killing someone else in an auto accident while blacked-out drunk, and they end up in jail for a few years. And some people evolve to being a daily drunk, for all the same reasons that people binge on weekends, but now you're drinking to avoid withdrawals.

It's a pretty bitter vicious cycle. I wish I would have been one of those who snapped out of it, but I got to be a daily drunk instead. At least I didn't hurt anybody, that's something good to say (I owe it to a combination of paranoia, a certain amount of guile, and a whole lot of simple dumb luck)
The thing that always suprises me, is How many posts I read and think "That sounds exactly like me."

Funny addiction this is...
Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If its costing you more than money, and that worries you then cut the alcohol out completely
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There are so many things we get to define as our own private reality, but somehow we don't believe we can. Here's one: 'My father is an alcoholic, so that means that I will suffer with alcoholism too'. Even if there is a 'predisposition', there is no guarantee and there is nothing that says that genetics are destiny in this regard. For example, my sisters and brother are take it or leave it drinkers, while I am an 'already had my share' drinker.

Here is another way that we can define our reality. Consider this: you wish to stop drinking, but in reality, you already have. You quit drinking when you put your last drink down. The question is whether you will start drinking again.

Here is how I would advise someone like you - define your condition in a way that makes it as easy as possible for you to change. Believe that you deserve a life without the panic, the anxiety, the depression, the hangovers, and then go get it. Believe in yourself and your ability to be who you are meant to be.

I believe in you, Harpoon, just from your writing here. I believe you can do this.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It sounds like when you drink you have no control over your alcohol consumption, and you drink until you are drunk. Engaging in this behavior 3 or 4 times a month is a warning sign. Eventually, what happens to a lot of us is that the time between our drinking bouts gets shorter and shorter. Eventually, for me it was just about everyday. Alcoholism is progressive.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A good first step is just admitting there is a problem. Then what to do about it. Do you have any face to face support? Friends, family? Would you be willing to give AA a try? It's worked for many many people.

I have help staying sober by coming here daily and going to counseling. It's worked for over three years. I used to think I was hopeless but I wasn't. You're not either. You can do this.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you decided to stop drinking.

My advice is to make yourself change your routines. If you normally drink on the weekends make sure you have a plan in place to be doing something very different. Stay away from your normal hangouts and even from your friends if they're drinking buddies.

Know for sure that you can do this.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good suggestions here already, harpoon. I want to welcome you, too. This place helped me quit after drinking for a lifetime. I hope you'll find the help & support you're looking for.