SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   seeking advice (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/291838-seeking-advice.html)

slayer93 04-18-2013 05:21 PM

seeking advice

Hey new to the site and just looking for some advice on trying to get sober but that's a challenge, here's a condensed story. I began drinking and getting high during my sophomore year in high school going to class messed up or not all and in my spare time I mostly did it out of boredom. It got out of hand to the point I was expelled and put in alternative school where I stayed for two more years until I got my diploma. Now all ive been doing since then is going to my pain in the ass college classes. When im not doing that im probably getting high or on the weekends drinking with friends. It seems like weed is the only thing to do to pass time and liquor has it's uses because it's the only thing that really helps me talk to people I don't know especially girls. I wanna get sober but I feel like I need both of these things just to have any fun or be social because if I am sober (like I am now)I get pissed off or just wanna break any useless object I come across. Any advice is welcomed.

Hevyn 04-18-2013 05:49 PM

Welcome slayer - it's great that you joined us & that you want to get sober. I know how hard it is to let go.

It's good you see that things need to change. I used to be bored when I wasn't drinking too, but later in life I found I never made a move without it. I know it makes you feel more sociable now - but if you continue counting on it to help you feel more comfortable, it'll be very hard to find normal relationships. I hope others will have some suggestions for you. I'm glad you came here to talk about it.

fantail 04-18-2013 06:04 PM

Hi Slayer! My advice would be to give it a few months as an experiment and see how it feels. That's what I did... and for the first few weeks, I still felt out of it and unfriendly while sober (it's different for all of us, for some people that part lasts a few days). Anyway by now, for the first time in a really long time I'm actually open and friendly while sober. It's only been two months sober! I really wasn't expecting such a change so quickly.

When I started I didn't even think about whether I wanted to do this forever, I just agreed with myself to give it a chance and see what it would be like. Now I find I really like being sober, surprisingly.

least 04-18-2013 06:25 PM

:welcome Sounds like you could use some therapy, anger management maybe. I see a counselor and it's been very helpful to air my feelings and get her feedback.

Give sobriety an honest try. Six months sober at least and see how you feel then.

if I am sober (like I am now)I get pissed off or just wanna break any useless object I come across.

hypochondriac 04-19-2013 12:42 PM

Welcome to SR Slayer :)

Originally Posted by slayer93 (Post 3924444)
I wanna get sober but I feel like I need both of these things just to have any fun or be social because if I am sober (like I am now)I get pissed off or just wanna break any useless object I come across. Any advice is welcomed.

When I first got sober I was so angry, I was seething and every little thing p;ssed me off. It got better. Once I had decided not to drink no matter what there was no point in getting angry. I really think I used some of my angry indignant behaviour as an excuse to drink. But also part of that feeling was just the addiction itself. Once it realised I wasn't going to drink things steadied and I discovered I actually didn't need alcohol. I hope you stick around, this is a good place x