Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

That comment about your alcoholism doing push-ups in the parking lot

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They say that outside of an AA meeting, your alcoholism is waiting, doing push-ups in the parking lot.

What does that mean, exactly?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just means that your disease is strong and it is always waiting for you to be weak. You need to maintain and work your program because your disease is not taking any time off. It is not going to go away and is waiting for us when we are our weakest. It is just a warning not to take sobriety for granted.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How true, Family!

What an accurate interpretation of the "push-ups" metaphor! That was my experience, anyway... after getting clean in 1999 from alcohol and cocaine, I relapsed a couple years ago after an auto accident, just being prescribed two pain pills a day. My addiction came right after me, and all bets were off.
I now have 32 days clean from those hellish pills, (of course I ended up taking a lot more than 2 a day), and now am back in recovery. Yep, my disease was out there doing push-ups all right, and sit-ups,and lifting weights, etc... I got pretty beat up..and now am on my way back to health.
Thank GOD for Sober Recovery!!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would think it applies to any recovery method - addiction is always there waiting there to catch you with your guard down.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With me it is like a sucker punch even in a pleasant period. Suddenly an add for beer will say to me "try me" it's the hard stuff that I had trouble with. It doesn't happen often and within a minute is gone fortunately. Sometimes when it happens I wonder what's bothering me as I haven't wanted to drink in over 30 years. That's one of the reasons I continue going to meetings. BE WELL
Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Argonaut

It can also be seen as a reference to three effects of alcoholism:

tolerance (you will be back at the same drinking amount within days), progressive nature of alcoholism (you can't go back to a previous stage like moderate drinking) and kindling (each withdrawal gets worse after a period of drinking).

In other words, alcoholism will never subside and get weaker. The only solution is not to drink.