Notices

Day 8 and strange realization today

Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 and strange realization today

On day 8 and feeling a lot better and actually happy today. I'm a smoker also and will admit my nic intake has gone up a bit from day one, but I'll deal with that later. Getting off the alcohol right now is a challenge enough. For the longest time I would scrub my right pointer finger with lemons everyday at work cause it was stained and I read somewhere once that lemon takes away tar stains on your fingers. (which it would take the stain away a bit).

Well been sober for over a week, smoking more, and no stains. Hmmm...Then I realized that for the longest time I would wake up every morning hungover as hell and feeling like S***. To the point that even though I didn't have anything in my stomach, I would shove my finger down my throat to try and make myself feel better. Go chug a ton of water and repeat. And repeat. And repeat ill I took a shower and headed off to work in a haze. Well, there always was something in my stomach, leftover booze and bile. Bile stained finger...great image right?

Makes me think what the hell was I doing destroying myself like that, and believing it was "normal"
Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on day 8 driftedsoul

D
Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of the side effects of not drinking for me have been health and happiness way to go! You got through your 1st week!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's funny the little things you notice. I've kept kind of a list of all these "little" things that are better since I don't drink. That way when I'm feeling a craving I can go through my list and remember why I quit drinking
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Driftedsoul, Day 8 and strange realization today? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Cigarettes were harder than the booze and drugs for me. Finally quit the cigarettes too.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 days without drinking. Like you I smoke, and it's a worry what damage I am doing to myself. Then, at other times, I really couldn't care less if I dropped down dead tomorrow. Depends how I am in my head. Today, I couldn't care less.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You'll see a lot of positive changes now that you've quit. You may find it's easier to quit smoking than you thought too. I just stopped 3 weeks ago and it's honestly not as bad as I thought it would be. It's bad, but not impossible...
Same tools that helped you stop drinking will work with smoking too in many cases. Hang in there-you're off to a great start!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds exactly like my story!! I still get up in the morning thinking I'm hung over but it takes a few minutes to realize I didn't have a drop of booze the night before.. My smoking increased too.. I started dipping as well to give my lungs a break.. As far as the booze and hangovers I don't miss it at all!!

Keep up the great work!! Good stuff!!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations & keep it up! One thing that's helped me is keeping a "gratitude" diary for each day I don't drink. I'm on Day 26 and my book is FILLED with things I would not have had/noticed 27 days ago.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by driftedsoul View Post
On day 8 and feeling a lot better and actually happy today. I'm a smoker also and will admit my nic intake has gone up a bit from day one, but I'll deal with that later. Getting off the alcohol right now is a challenge enough. For the longest time I would scrub my right pointer finger with lemons everyday at work cause it was stained and I read somewhere once that lemon takes away tar stains on your fingers. (which it would take the stain away a bit).

Well been sober for over a week, smoking more, and no stains. Hmmm...Then I realized that for the longest time I would wake up every morning hungover as hell and feeling like S***. To the point that even though I didn't have anything in my stomach, I would shove my finger down my throat to try and make myself feel better. Go chug a ton of water and repeat. And repeat. And repeat ill I took a shower and headed off to work in a haze. Well, there always was something in my stomach, leftover booze and bile. Bile stained finger...great image right?

Makes me think what the hell was I doing destroying myself like that, and believing it was "normal"
Good for you 8 days! I know what you mean, I spent time feeling sick especially in the bathroom, ridiculous, and like you said, thinking it was normal. Today is day 8 for me. I smoke too, but only one at night, a part of my routine. but now I want one in the early evening and late evening. Yesterday I smoked three the day before I smoked four. I agree that focusing on stopping the alcohol is the most important thing, and I can deal with the cig's later. I'm still blown away that I have not wanted to drink. I don't look forward to being tempted. But I know it will come, especially this summer when I take a vacation with my partner. Hang in there!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

My nicotine use also increased, but after time it naturally decreased. I also chose to worry about it later. I'm glad I did.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good job on 8 days sober!