Notices

Admitting to It Finally

Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Admitting to It Finally

Hi, everyone...I am new to this board and new to admitting I have been abusing alcohol. I went to my first AA meeting last night and will probably be going to another tonight after work. I am ashamed of my actions and my weakness and don't even know how I got into this. Last year presented me with some major disasters in my personal and work life, and though it is NOT AN EXCUSE, I believe that those things tipped me over the edge and were the genesis of this problem that I am having now. I have been horrible to myself and to my loved ones, and done physical damage to my house and cars. I have not gotten into any legal trouble, but after a serious incident that happened Monday of this week, I know I have to change and fix things. I hope to find some assistance and support here, as well as on other boards and in person with AA. I need help and want to change.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Tim! It's great to have you join the family.

It isn't a matter of weakness, Tim. Alcoholism can bring the strongest of us to our knees. I hope you'll forgive yourself and try to stop with the shame and guilt over things that can't be changed. It's hard to move on when we have one foot in the past. You can have a whole new life - we want to help. This is an amazing place with people who will give you hope and the courage to change. Congratulations on making this decision to reclaim your life.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

willing to change

Originally Posted by TimC View Post

I have been abusing alcohol.

a serious incident that happened Monday of this week, I know I have to change and fix things. I hope to find some assistance and support here, as well as on other boards and in person with AA. I need help and want to change.
sounds like you are well on your way on Step 1
and
being willing to change also makes for a good beginning point

onehigherpower
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

You have come to the right place " Welcome " . Lots of support here. I'm at day 5 not using. Somehow reading here helps, seeing others in our situation. We together can get our lives back. Hang in there . God bless
Old 04-17-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimC View Post
Hi, everyone...I am new to this board and new to admitting I have been abusing alcohol. I went to my first AA meeting last night and will probably be going to another tonight after work. I am ashamed of my actions and my weakness and don't even know how I got into this. Last year presented me with some major disasters in my personal and work life, and though it is NOT AN EXCUSE, I believe that those things tipped me over the edge and were the genesis of this problem that I am having now. I have been horrible to myself and to my loved ones, and done physical damage to my house and cars. I have not gotten into any legal trouble, but after a serious incident that happened Monday of this week, I know I have to change and fix things. I hope to find some assistance and support here, as well as on other boards and in person with AA. I need help and want to change.

Welcome!

We have an Alcoholism 12 step support (AA) forum here as well. Join us.

Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It isn't a matter of weakness, Tim. Alcoholism can bring the strongest of us to our knees. I hope you'll forgive yourself and try to stop with the shame and guilt over things that can't be changed. It's hard to move on when we have one foot in the past. You can have a whole new life - we want to help. This is an amazing place with people who will give you hope and the courage to change. Congratulations on making this decision to reclaim your life.
Better words were never spoken.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Alcoholism is a disease, not a character defect.

Please be kind to yourself and begin the journey of healing and recovery.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the comments; they are appreciated greatly!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't do any better than to echo what everyone else has already said. You're not bad or weak, you have a sickness but you can get well. I'm glad you joined our family!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Once again, thanks for the comments. I went to two different AA meetings last week. They both strongly urged everyone new to go every day, but that is not really practical for me with work and familial schedules, but I will go to another one this week. In any case, today is a week without a drop, and there is none in the house to be tempted by, and I never drank in bars or restaurants anyway. And as dumb as it sounds, I have been to the store a few times in the past week and have not been tempted to buy any new bottles, so I guess that is a good thing, right? So far so good...one week in!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's wonderful news, Tim. Proud of you.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome