Notices

Young alcoholics/addicts section?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Young alcoholics/addicts section?

I was browsing through the sections on this forum, and I wondering if the board would be interested in having a section devoted for the young crowd. I don't want to step on anyone's toes when it comes to what qualifies as young, but I feel that there might be some benefits for having a section designated for younger addicts/alcoholic issues.

As i'm reading more and more threads, I'm noticing that there are a lot of young people in or looking for recovery. Having a section for the younger crowd would help them find people of their age range, and since they can relate to each other because of similar experiences, it might attract other young people.

Just a idea.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Although alcoholism doesn't discriminate by age, I think it might be helpful since it shows newcomers that you don't have to be 60 years old and getting a liver transplant to realize you have a problem and need to stop drinking. Younger people also face different challenges with drinking than older people, such as more peer pressure. Younger people are also more likely to feel an expectation to participate in the bar scene and group binge drinking with friends (generally speaking).
Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am only 29, and I am already falling out of touch with the "younger crowd."

Teenagers go through substance abuse problems, and some of us are simply ill-equipped to emotionally assist them.

However, I do question the benefit of an entire board dedicated solely to individuals who might be emotionally unprepared to assist others their age. It is rare to find a young sage voice. If a young, dedicated Moderator were found, then it would make sense.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Huh?

I'm 29.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've had various young adults threads before and, for some reason, they never seem to last very long, Recovery 1983.

You're welcome to start another thread if you like

D
Old 04-17-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still think of myself as "young" at 29, but there are people far younger than myself experiencing addiction. If a 15-year-old was posting about drugs/alcohol, I might not have anything to offer that they would emotionally latch onto, is all I meant.

I am out of the age loop
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I think the young can benefit from the old. We're the result of continuing abuses.