Notices

How to Deal with an addict

Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to Deal with an addict

Hello Everyone,

I currently am engaged to an actively using drug addict. We have been together for over 6 years. When I met them, they were sober. I had no idea they had ever been to a rehab etc. They had been sober for a while as well. Then their mother was murdered and BOOM full blown addiction on and off for three to four years. Between the constant lies and life's choices I didn't know what was up or down, wrong or right.

I know have learned for the most part how to not really care. I have detached myself emotionally in that I acknowledge that the addiction is their problem and not mine. It is out of my control, and I have to let them hit bottom on their own. I occasionally will lose sight of this and go into my habit of madness where I check their phone, or spy to validate that they were in fact actually lying to me. I caught myself doing this today and took a step back and said.."NOPE...I am not going to rationalize my own sanity for the sake of knowing they are okay".

That's me today. Just trying to keep my serenity and sanity in my life. Other then that, I'm going to the beach and living my life the way I would with or without the addict.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you're in the situation you are in; glad you found SR! There is a "Family and Friends" section to the forum that you may want to check out plus a stickied section w/some wonderful resources, reading, etc., to help you hang in. I'm pretty new here myself and I have found a lot of help. Hope the same is true for you.

Welcome, and best wishes.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!!! I use to have an account on my ***** but I can't get it to log in. I can only pray it gets better. My prayers are with you as well!