Notices

Feeling soo...guilty!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling soo...guilty!

Wondering if anyone can help me. I've only been sober for 2 wks. (2 wks.
tom.), but I am full of guilt, depression & racing thoughts. I attend "intensive
outpatient, 3 dys. wk., 3x a wk.), I realize I'm still experiencing withdrawal
symptoms but I cannot get rid of the guilt.

I hurt (emotionally), someone that I really love & I feel so guilty about it &
afraid if I am not able to make amends w/this person that my chances of
sobriety will be pretty slim.

I know this person is quite upset, now sure if he's willing to hear me out,
willing to allow me to make amends (or even cares), but it's on my mind
24-7.

I realize I'm not close to step 9, it's just it's weighing on my mind constantly
& really want to make amends now for the sake of sobriety & peace of mind.

Any feedback would help. Thanks in advance!

So glad I have this site, so glad I have all of you to vent to, glad I have all
of you to look to for advice, glad for this site if I can help someone else
on this site.

God Bless.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At two weeks sober your physical withdrawal is over. You're just feeling emotions that alcohol used to dull and numb. The good thing about getting sober is you get your feelings back. The bad thing is you get your feelings back.

This too shall pass. Concentrate on taking good care of yourself and you should be feeling better in a few weeks or so.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your withdrawals are done....now you are experiencing feelings. You're not numb anymore! My feelings hit me like a ton of bricks and all at once...I thought I was nuts! Take one thing at a time....sit in quiet time and know that all of this will be mended through time. I worked with a sponsor and went to many meetings to keep myself busy and to learn more quicker. It worked...its now been 2 1/2 years and I can handle the icky things much better that come my way. Dont give up, give it time....possibly work with someone on it....goodluck and happy thoughts!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

The emotions all come running back. It's only normal. It's kinda healthy to let them hurt a bit but you shouldn't dwell on them. You will get to working them out eventually. Just keep looking forward and don't rush anything. Just focus on you for the time being. And when you're ok you can start working on the things you have done.

Natom.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nan

I think guilt is common for most of us.

The thing is...we cant change a second of what's happened. We need to accept that.

What we can do is put all the energy we put into guilt and remorse and use it to make sure we live right today.

I look at that as a kind of living amends...the more good I did, sober, the less troubled I felt about other things I'd done in the past.

I've never forget them, but they don't 'own' me now. I live in the present, and the present is good.

I know you'll get there too.

As for amends to specific people....we can't dictate how other people feel. We can;t take away their pain, we can make them forgive us, or trust us again...

maybe they will see the change in us and some of those things may happen, in time - but we can't make that our motivation.

Focus on you and whats right for you now...heal, grow, get stronger...have faith everything will turn out the way it's meant to be

D