Notices

Needing help

Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing help

Hello everyone. I have decided to try this as something new to motivate me and meet some fellow people in recovery. I have been drinking for about 10 years and have had some success in sobriety but it has never stuck. I am currently with a girl who makes me so happy and I want to marry her some day, but she is close to leaving me because of my alcohol problem. She is fed up with the lies and the drinking, but I can't seem to find the motivation to quit. When I have success I just succumb to the temptation again. I dont know what to do and I dont feel worth saving or that there is a future that is sober for me. I'm about to give up on it.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it. I'm on day 7 and its been hard but I am starting to feel so much better. My drinking recently destroyed my relationship of 7 years. Really big wake up call. No one wants to spend the rest of their life taking care of an A. Just wish I would have come to the realization sooner. There is a lot of support here and it helps. You can do it.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hi DP, welcome!

I have a quote that I keep in my drawer: "If they do stop, out of fear or whatever, they go at once into such a state of euphoria and well-being that they become over-confident. They're rid of drink, and feel sure enough of themselves to start again, promising they'll take one, at the most two, and -- well, then it becomes the same old story."

That's from the book The Lost Weekend, which was written in the 30's. I was born in the 80's, so I keep it around to remind myself when I get over confident that people knew my type half a century before I was even born.

Anyway I'm at two months now after lots of earlier failed attempts and it's worth it. I set a goal first (3 months), which was easier for me to focus on then "always". I told myself that I had to at least experience sober life... because I spent so much time convinced I couldn't handle sober life without even knowing what it was like. Turns out it's way better than I thought.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Sounds like the time to commit to being sober is now if you want to keep this woman. What has been your plan in the past to stay sober?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go to one of the many recovery meetings out there and listen to someone who has truly hit rock bottom or has been in a locked up for years due to booze or drugs... Maybe that will motivate you.. Not one positive thing comes from the bottle.. Best of luck to you...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This site is full of support. I hope we can help you make the decision to stop drinking for good.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My plan to stay sober in the past has just been to bight the bullet and fight the cravings.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by deadpool343 View Post
My plan to stay sober in the past has just been to bight the bullet and fight the cravings.
Let me be the first to say, your way ain't working!

So, knowing that, perhaps you can open yourself to something a little more structured and designed to aid you in getting (and more importantly) staying sober.

Welcome to SR, by the way.

As far as your statement about giving up...recovery isn't about giving up. It's about trying, even if you fail.